Chapter 3

(reference: Rising Storm pg 236

"Tawnykit, look!"

She looked up and abandoned her game pouncing on Goldenflower's tail. Bramblekit was standing by the entrance of the nursery, his tail twitching with interest. She padded over and followed his gaze into the clearing, surprised at what she saw.

Fireheart and Sandstorm were standing by the gorse tunnel, a familiar and smaller fluffy white cat between them. Whitestorm and Darkstripe had their backs to the nursery as they spoke with them. A few cats were emerging from their dens to see what was happening.

"Cloudpaw?" Tawnykit exclaimed. "I thought he'd been taken by twolegs?"

Bramblekit flicked his ear. "Shhh, I want to hear what they're saying!"

"I was lucky Ravenpaw found me." Cloudpaw was meowing, his blue eyes filled with distress. "He came to get Fireheart to rescue me. If it weren't for Fireheart and Sandstorm, I'd still be trapped in the twoleg nest with that dog!"

The elders started at this with gasps and yowls of shock, and Tawnykit let out a gasp, the fur prickling along her spine. She'd never seen a dog, but Goldenflower had told them how terrifying and deadly they were. How had Cloudpaw survived trapped with the horrible creature?

The kits listened as Fireheart went on to tell the clan how they'd encountered a WindClan patrol, and Cloudpaw had helped chase them off. Tawnykit found herself impressed by Cloudpaw's bravery. I hope I'll be just as great as an apprentice. She felt a prickle of hope. Maybe Darkstripe will be my mentor.

She looked to the dark striped warrior, surprised that he didn't seem to share the clan's enthusiasm about Cloudpaw's return. "Is that it?" He asked bluntly. "Do we just take him back?"

"Well..." Whitestorm sounded thoughtful. "That will be for Bluestar to decide, of course. But ThunderClan needs more warriors more than ever before. I think we would be foolish to send Cloudpaw away now."

ThunderClan does need more warriors. Tawnykit thought, her paws itching with anticipation. I can't wait to start my training! Me and Bramblekit will be able to help our clan when we become warriors. She remembered Darkstripe's words to her several nights ago and felt her chest swell with excitement. He said we'll be the greatest warriors in the forest. I hope he's right!

Darkstripe snorted at Whitestorm's response. "How can we trust this kittypet not to run off again when things get tough?"

He has a point... Tawnykit looked at Cloudpaw uncertainly as she considered Darkstripe's words. 

Cloudpaw bristled at his words. "I'm no kittypet!" He hissed. "And I didn't run away. I was stolen!"

Darkstripe lashed his tail and flexed his claws angrily. Why is he so angry? Tawnykit wondered. Cloudpaw is back. That's one more warrior for ThunderClan. And Whitestorm said that we need more warriors.

"Darkstripe's point is a fair one." Fireheart meowed. "I'll go and speak with Bluestar. Whitestorm is right. It's up to her to decide." The flame pelted warrior headed for the highrock where Bluestar's den was, and Darkstripe sat down, his yellow eyes narrowed to slits as he watched Fireheart.

Tawnykit stared at him for a moment, then hesitantly stepped out of the nursery, ignoring Bramblekit's hiss for her to stay. "Darkstripe?" She found herself squeaking as she neared him.

"Hmm?" Darkstripe's cold eyes flicked down to her, then softened. "Hello, Tawnykit." He returned his attention to the highrock where Fireheart had disappeared into Bluestar's den.