Chapter One

"That sounds like a horrible idea. Let's do it and see how it goes." Kristolyn Piper said, talking to her best friend, Gwen Kersey. "First prank of the new year, right?"

Kris, although not like to get in trouble, certainly had a talent for it. She and Gwen loved to pull pranks on their friends. And that sometimes included getting detention. Because they set up balloons in the auditorium, to fall on the drama kids. The day before their dress rehearsal. Charlie, aka Ms. Beverly but nobody called her that (by request of Charlie), was ready to kill them. And the two girls got detention for the rest of that week. It was definitely worth it.

The shorter girl nodded. "Think Allison is gonna kill us for this?"

"Probably," Kris replied and chuckled, pulling her curly brown hair back into a ponytail. "If her girlfriend doesn't kill us first."

"She and Jade finally got together?"

"I wish." she scoffed. "No, I think Allison is head over heels from that one guy on the football team."

"You mean your brother?" Gwen asked and Kris facepalmed.

"Yes, I mean Flynn. Now shut up and help me tie this, will you?" She said, with slight annoyance. Allison's crush on Flynn drove her crazy. Half the time she felt as if she was being used for her to get closer to him. And the other half, she was hanging out with Troy, just to get to the airhead of a brother Kris had. He was an idiot, and Allison deserved someone a little smarter. Sometimes she was debating if she only liked him because she thought he was hot...

Or, rather, there was more to Allison that she saw. She didn't talk to her, much, unless it came to choreography for the school shows matching time with the music. She, more hung out with Gwen, where Allison, Carson, Darren, and Troy were their own tight-knit group. And the Allison had a few friends on the soccer team with the help of her childhood friend, Jade Bradbury.

Gwen tapped her shoulder, pulling Kris out of her thoughts. The 'butterfly' was ready. Popsicle sticks, hot glue, a paper clip, and some paper was all it took. Twist the rubber band, put it in the card and seal it.

"And I say again. Think Allison is gonna kill us?" The blonde girl asked, and Kris nodded.

They had staged the prank to make it look like a Valentine's Day card was from Flynn, and had a 'heartfelt' note on the front. Then she would open the card and see the crazy butterfly-type-thing fly out at her. With a message in the comic-book font: 'February fools!', and their names at the bottom. Even if it gets you murdered, you still have to take credit for a good prank; it's the rules of a good prank.

"Definitely."

"Miss Caryn Elliston!"

The shrill voice of her math teacher woke Caryn up from her writing-daydream. She didn't even seem to write the words anymore. But imagine the scene, and watch the pages become filled with lead or ink. And then her hand cramps up a lot.

"Yes, Miss Herbert?" Caryn asked, sitting up a bit straighter and blowing her bright red hair away from her hazel eyes. Unfortunately, it fell back down, so she pulled her hair back into a ponytail. Which also looked as if it was going to fall out, from how ratty it looked.

"What do you think you're doing?" The piercing sharp voice of her math teacher asked, irked with the student. It wasn't Caryn's fault that she was always falling asleep in her most boring class, first-period math. It had never been a talent of hers; math sucked. The writing was easier for her. And her best friend's mom was her French teacher, so she kinda had to like that class. Mrs. Attwood was awesome!