Enigma

I am alone at night, crawling under my quilt trying to make myself comfortable over the mattress my aunt newly bought for me. Couple of weeks ago, my mother and father got in a fight, severe fight that I have nothing to do but to wail. I know they always had that ever since I was little.

My mom, doesn't like me at all. She always scoots away everytime I am near. She gives me food like I am just a pet. Nothing special, everything in the plate is tawdry. I never experience the feeling of being washed in the bath, being tucked to sleep, being kissed or cared like any children had in their memory. I remember that she once told me that I should've died before in an accident because she was unhappy in her life which I believe until now. She hates me to her bones that much that she hoped for her own daughter's death.

My dad, is the complete opposite. He was the one who took care of the things my mom couldn't do for me. He always gives me ride to school or anywhere I want to go. However, everytime I looks at him, there's the surreal feeling and I know deep inside he isn't happy at all. I insisted on their divorce but my father denied my request. He told me that I need a complete family.

Begrudgingly I answered, "It's fine dad, we are not really complete at all ever since the beginning. I'll go with you. Let's put an end to this nightmare."

He propped his head with his elbow on the table, giving off deep sighs. "Maybe, I can consider that someday," he said.

One day, walking my way home from school, my aunt called telling me that my dad died, hit by a truck while on the road. I grieved that night at the hospital while looking at my father's body hidden in a white blanket used for dead bodies. My mother, which is in a party, couldn't care less. She's not bothered by it instead, she made me laundry her clothes and iron it.

After a week, a lawyer went in our house. Good thing, the investments and properties of my father was named after me. My mother and her outraged anger, bursted out in front of my face and walks away. That night, I was in a not-so-deep sleep, I heard footsteps outside my door, I couldn't care less. Not until my mother went and tried to kill my ass off me. I called my neighbors and they helped me get rid of her. She was arrested, my aunt came in hugging me after what she heard. The police told us that my mother were using drugs.

Unsurprised I replied, "She tried to kill me, at least she was in prison now." My aunt shushed me.

I am alone at night, crawling under my quilt trying to make myself comfortable in a newly bought mattress, in my new room. I couldn't care less about my mother, she deserves it.

"You should sleep, Mercedez, you have long way to go for tommorow." My aunt pops her head on the door then disappeared.

I walked down and locked my door in order to get to my study table without any problem.

Tommorow is a new beginning.

I put out my diary and turned it in the middle page where I can see my plan b, checking it out with a cheap pen I bought at the store. On the next page, I wrote a letter 'C' and wonder if I should better think a way on how to eliminate my aunt.