Do Better Blues

In a relationship she wants three things, three things are eyes that won't cry, lips. that won't lie, and love that won't die.

I was sitting at home working on my senior thesis. One of the last few things that I have to do before I graduate with my master in Sociology and Anthropology. In came my roommate since freshman year. I didn't know her before I decided to go to school here but we clicked instantly and been roommates ever since. 

"Oh, I'm surprised your boo isn't in here with you." She said sitting on her bed. "We aren't together." "Y'all could've fooled me. I never see you without him. It's like you two are attached at the hip." "We are not attached at the hip." "Yeah sure. I hardly see you anymore." 

Now I see where this was going. I'm about to have a little fun with her. "Uh okay. I see someone is jealous." "Jealous me oh no never jealous." She paused. "I just wish I could have my best friend back. I never see her anymore. But I mean if she doesn't want to see me anymore that's fine. I can go ahead and get a new best friend." She said being her usual dramatic self.

"Lexi stop being dramatic." "I'm not being dramatic." She said crossing her arms over her chest. I died laughing at her. "Yes, yes you are." 

There was a knock on the door halting our conversation. "Come in," I said. The door opened and August walked in.  "Oh, Mr. Lover boy we were just talking about how you are stealing my best friend away." 

Ignoring her he walked over to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Oh, so we are just going to ignore me now huh. I see how you do." "Man, Lexi why do you have to be so dramatic all the time." "Okay ignore my feelings then." "I can't with you."

Later on

"I have to work on my thesis  August." "That can wait." "It can't actually. Its what's going to get me into grad school." "Come on Rhyon I just want to take you somewhere." "Like where." "A place." "A place where?" "Somewhere special." "August," I said kind of whiny. "I just want to take you somewhere special. Just let me do this one thing for you."

He said looking into my eyes like he was pleading with me. He looked so cute. Like a little child begging his mother for a piece of candy. I just couldn't say no. I grabbed his face like a he was a baby and held his head in my hand. 

"Aw." He swatted my hand away. "Rhyon come on." "What I couldn't resist," I said cheesing. "Can we go now." "Okay fine but you are going to help me with the rest of my research." "Bet."

The cool night breeze was blowing as I sat in August car with the window rolled down. I just love nights like this. It was an indication of summer coming soon. Like the sky was dark and purple. Just made everything so beautiful.

"Where did you say we were going again?" He looked over at me for a split second then focused back on the road. "You aren't slick. I never told you where I was taking you." "You're no fun." "You are going to be surprised no matter if you like it or not. Now quit pouting." "Well, how much longer." "Not sure." 

The surprise

We pulled up to a place I remember like it was yesterday. It was where we first met the park. "August what are we doing out here?" "Come and see." He held out his hand for me to grab. He leads me to an area next to the swings under the trees. 

There was a beautiful set up of flowers and candles laid out. I saw a spread of all of my favorite foods. "Whats...August what's all this for?" "I wanted to do something nice for you." "Why?" "I know you needed a break and because you deserve it." "Thank you." 

"Oh my gosh, I can believe this is still here." I brushed my hand over where we carved her names in. I felt August standing over me. He placed his hand over mines. "Yeah, you remember why we carved our names in this tree?" "Yep so that no matter where we went that we would always be together." 

He helped me finish the promise that we made to each other as kids. He turned me around making me face him. He grabbed my face in hands and kissed me. he pulled away and said, "I love you." 

A year later

"If I could do better than I wouldn't be here with you right now. You are the only one I want right now." I said pouring my heart out to the love of my life. We have only been together for a year. Known each other since we were kids and it feels like a lifetime. But a lifetime I wouldn't trade.

I would say that he's insecure but the things that happened in his past relationship I can understand why he is the way he is. Everyone needs reassuring every now and then.

"I hear you Rhyon. This relationship thing is something that I have to get used to. I never did this before. What we have is real. My past...My past man was just some bull s man. I want this to work. I want us to work."

"You have to promise me one thing." "What's that?" "That you will always love me no matter what." "Always."