Chapter 6: Computer Clas

Freshman year started so nonsensically like so.

Ever since elementary school, I have always liked my first period better. Why? Because the teacher would never actually talk about the course material. If he didn’t talk about the course material, then I wouldn’t have to use my brain. In my specialized courses especially, the current teacher would ramble about what type of language German was, and the interesting things that happened in Germany when he went there, as well as the trifles of the Wang family or the Li family for an entire two hours.

I really admired the teacher’s ability and desire to vomit comprehensively. However, I regretfully couldn’t say “Ding” [1] or “Mark” or “Notation”, and so on, as I tried to insert my foot into the equation to support him. I would even add, “You better keep vomiting comprehensively like this throughout the next semester.”

TLN: ding: (slang) to "bump" a forum thread to raise its profile; basically all the words she lists like "ding", "mark" and "notation" are words that are typically used to bump conversations to make them more popular

Actually, starting from second period, we would become kindergarten students. Everyone began to practice pronunciations, spending half a day on one syllable. But what really made me die was that when I returned to my dorm, I discovered that the whole dorm floor was practicing their pronunciations. Everywhere I could hear single sounds of “Ah------” “Dai------” and some more meaningless words along those lines. If someone accidentally came up to our floor, they might even think that they had entered a mental hospital.

Falling apart, I thought: Did the phrase, “Peking Uni produces lunatics”, come from here?

My fresh feeling towards the school had not disappeared yet when the first month had already passed by quickly.

I slowly got used to having crazy recruitment activities for all the clubs in all three corners, hearing the Bun Uncle’s bright cries, and feeling disappointed every time I went to  Russian Art History class. Xiao Xi would usually march into the classroom at the bell. But the Russian Art History teacher would not waste any of her class time, so she started exactly from the bell until after class was dismissed. I didn’t even have time to greet Xiao Xi, so don’t even mention minimizing the distance between the two of us.

It was another Wednesday morning. I got up in the early morning and went to the liberal arts computer classroom. Really, I didn’t have any interest towards computers, but this class began at 8:00 am. According to my previous experience, I would not be able to be punctual even if I was put in a life or death situation. But the young computer teacher said in the first class: “Really, computer class is really easy. Many people even play around better than I do. This is also my first time hosting a class. It’s very unfortunate that this class was arranged to be in the morning. I am very sorry to everyone. Thus, if anyone feels that they don’t have any problems in my class, they are allowed to not come to class.” The teacher continued to say this for four classes.

The people in the classroom decreased and decreased. In the end, there were about 10 people left. The original 100 people in the classroom had suddenly changed into this ratio. The computer teacher had not expected the people to dissipate so quickly, but his words spilled out like water. Besides the reckless folks who didn’t have to come back to class, he also unfortunately wrote down the remaining 10 people’s names, and I was one of the 10 people. I regretted calling out my name then. Before, I thought that since my strength was insufficient, I could not emulate the people with high IQ (and choose this class~TL). Later, after I began to waver and think about it, I felt that upon seeing the number of people declining his class, this young teacher’s expression was pretty pitiful, so I persevered for two more weeks. I didn’t think that the 10 individuals in the class would become the teacher’s fate (determine whether or not this teacher gets fired). It was really hard to get off a tiger when you were riding it [2].