Chapter 2

“Come on! You’re going to miss the parade!” Chandel said as I returned to reality. My body moved to where she stood, but my mind stayed in the dark of the empty lookout.

                I couldn’t help but wonder what or who might have been lurking in Nathaniel’s absence. Speaking of which… “Hey, where’s Nathaniel?” I asked to the mesmerized vampire girl standing next to me. She looked like she would fall off the balcony at any moment. She was too transfixed on the illuminated floats and waving creatures to notice I was talking to her. “Chandel!” I shouted in her ear.

                “What?” she shouted back.

                “I’m trying to ask you a freaking question! Where in the heck is Nathaniel?” I screamed.

                “Oh!” she said and calmed down. “He supposed to be at the north end lookout. Right on the other side of the road.” She said. She pointed to the very lookout I had just seen.

                “Well, where is he then?” I asked again.

                Chandel let out a huff and strode to the other edge of the lookout. She squinted at the platform and tried to search for the familiar figure that we were both very accustomed to. “There.” She said, and her figure pointed to that exact figure.

                “But that’s not him!” I said.

                “Yes it is!” she shouted back. “Just…. Look, how about I stand back and you watch the parade. Obviously the flashings are getting to your head.” With that, she strolled over to the bench in the back and readied her mace.

                Yes, that’s right. Party-girl Chandel has a big honkin’ mace. Now, the reason behind her choice of weaponry is beyond me. I’m honestly just too afraid to ask her. The funny thing is she’s half my size when it comes to height. Also, besides her giant metal death-bringer, she’s absolutely adorable. Her long, black hair and clear face gives off elegance and grace. I guess it was just that since she had so much enthusiasm and respect, that the beauty she had inside showed outside. I wished I knew how to do that. All I could do is aim, and even then it’s just barely decent.

                “But…” I protested. I don’t know why I was so fixated on this figure, but I was.

                “No! Now enjoy yourself! When was the last time you ever came out of that insecure shell of yours and had some real fun?” Chandel asked as she paced back and forth in front of the back balcony.

                I didn’t have time for fun. I’m too busy to have fun. I had to know who or what had been there in Nathaniel’s place. Chandel wandered back to the front and once again become transfixed on the flashing lights and roaring crowd. I took this as my opportunity to go see for myself if Nathaniel was really there.

                I slowly opened the back door open and slid through the opening, my bow and quiver slung over my shoulder. The hallway opened into a stairway leading down the first floor. The first floor had a chair in a corner, a desk covered in scattered papers, and a floor lamp about as tall as I am. The door was on the other side of the staircase. If I could just get out of here and across the street in just five minutes, I’ll be fine. I walked out the front door. It couldn’t get any louder, I contemplated returning for fear of claustrophobia, but I knew I had to keep going with curiosity taking me over.

                The crowd was packed and I didn’t think that I could make it across without being noticed. I had the cross the street in front of everyone just to confirm my suspicions. I was more than annoyed that I could have this much curiosity. The path leading to the other lookout was almost open. One shot and I would be there without being too noticed. I jumped from the crowded lot, and across the street. A float I hadn’t noticed almost ran me over, almost. It is a float, nonetheless, and it wasn’t going very fast. I took off for the other side of the road, avoiding the smaller cars zooming past and the cheering creatures of the night.