Chapter 3

Ryker Hasten. Of all the people to crawl out the depths of the rotting tombs of the earth, Ryker Hasten just had to find his way back here. His face was still the same as it was eight years agao, although I was ten the last time I saw him. His eyes were red as blood, and his hair was ever so toussled to swoon any romantic vampire-lover. Anyone but me.

     "That's right, Darling. I'm back. Surprised?" He said in a taunting voice. His eyes were fixed on mine.

     "Yes. I'm surprised that you crawled your way back to the town that defeated you and doesn't want you anymore." I said, trying to sound tough, although on the inside, I was terrified.

     He let me go from his grip and I stumbled back a little. I drew back the string on my bow with the arrow ready. He threw his hands in the air and said, "Whoa, Darling. No need to be hasty."

     "No that's your job, isn't it." I said. My eyes fixed on his and I tried to focus on the target. His eyes were so red, no doubt just fed, and they were so inviting. Most vampires have an gazing trick on humans that draws them in for the kill. I had to train myself against it, with the help of Nathaniel. It took almost every ounce of conscious energy to ignore those eyes.

     "Oh, so you can ignore it, can you?" he said, obviously figuring out my counter-trick. "Well, looks like i'll have to find other means of drawing you in. By the way, I can't believe how much you've grown." His voice was so calm, yet seductive. I hated it. "You've turned into such a beautiful young lady. Look at yourself. So grown up, so mature..."

     "So out of your league." a voice said from behind me. Nathaniel stood not ten feet behind us, with his arm folded over his chest in his typical manner, while Chandel stood next to him, her mace resting on her shoulder and her eyes angry.

      "Ah, if it isn't little Nathaniel and his itty-bitty sidekick." Ryker said, no longer seductive, but with slight hatred and resentment. "You two haven't changed a bit."

     "Well duh! And unfortunately we have to gaze at your unchanged paper sack, oh wait, that's your face... Oops, my bad." Chandel said in a ever so sarcastic mood. That changed. "Now get the hell out of here before you paper sack becomes a paper wad." She brought her mace into both hands and readied herself for the 'just-in-case' moment.

     He back off calmly. "Alright. I'm gone." he said and turned to face me. He put his hand on my cheek, caressed it, and said. "But not for long, Darling." and sped off so fast that it looked like a vanishing act.

     "Jess, are you ok? Did he hurt you?" Nathaniel grabbed my shoulders and threw out every possible question he could think of. His eyes were broken and hurt. Why? It's not like Ryker said anything to hurt him. Why would his eyes show pain?

     "I... I'm... I'm fine..." I finally spit out. I was so shocked that someone like Ryker could ever return. He can't come back. He just can't. Not after what happened. No.

     "Sweetheart, are you sure? You don't look like it." Chandel said.

     "I'm fine. I'm going home." I said. I walked out into the now deserted, candy and paper filled road of the closing parade.

     My house was a real house. Not a coffin in the cemetery, but a real house. The whole town was filled with beautiful Victorian structures, but they were only used during multi-town events like the Moonlight Festival. I felt so alone sometimes in this beautiful town with everyone sleeping in the cemetery, with the rusted gate and ivy-covered iron bars. They only sleep in the house if need be... Like a big storm, or a tornado or something. I plopped my bow onto a table, dragged my quiver to a hook and hung it there. Then, I couldn't hold back any longer.

     I ran to my room and slammed the door shut. It doesn't matter if I was alone in the house, I was so distraught that I didn't care any more. I threw myself onto my bed and cried my eyes out.

     "Ryker can't be back. He just can't." I said to myself.

     Ding-dong! The doorbell rang.... I hadn't heard that thing it a few years. I was surprised it still worked. Ding-dong! It rang again.

     "I'm coming!" I shouted, but when I got to the door, Nathaniel had already burst his way into my house and was pacing frantically.

     "I'm sorry about him, Sweetheart," Chandel said. "He's a little bit anxious." She walked in and sat herself on a dusty, old, blue couch I've been meaning to get rid of, despite her request to keep it here.

     "I can see that." I said. Nathaniel kept pacing and pacing until I thought he was going to cave the floor into the basement. "Nathaniel, calm down."

     "Calm down? Calm down?! How in the world can Ryker Hasten, the worst vampire rouge in the history of Crystolum, waltz his way back here and you just non-chalantly tell me to calm down?!" Nathaniel shouted.

     "I get the point." I said.

     "Sweetheart, you know for a fact that we care for you. The only human to ever stay more than a year in Crystolum, the only human to ever stand up to the very face of certain death. You are our best friend. Ryker is back. We can't stop that, but we can help you fight." Chandel said. She was so sweet sometimes, but right now I didn't need sweet. I needed action.

     "Fight? No one is fighting Ryker." said Nathaniel. "I plan on ripping his head off his body and thowing his remains in to the fiery pit! Burn, BURN!"

      Chandel and I were a little frightened. Nathaniel made a manical laugh, and then BAM! Chandel hit him right on the head with her mace. "Ok, so we know one of us has already lost it." she said. "What the heck is wrong with you?" She leaned over the now collapsed Nathaniel and put her hands on her hips.

     "God, Chandel," He said, rubbing his hand over his black-haired bruise. "What the hell? I was just stating facts. That's the only way to kill a vampire like Ryker."

     "Stating facts?" Chandel asked. "Sounds more like you were about to go on a killing spree, Public Enemy Number One: Ryker Hasten. Have you even thought once of what Jes might be going through?"

     Nathaniel punched Chandel's arm. "Of course I have! I'm more concerned about the danger she's in!

     I sat on the couch. I couldn't have my two best friends beating the daylights out each other, not that they had any daylights. They are vampires after all. I also couldn't help thinking of killing Ryker like that. I did once lo.... Nevermind. That's not important. He was too far gone in his own lust for power that what we had was no more. The only way to get rid of Ryker for good...was to kill him.

     "What'cha thinking about, sweetheart?" Chandel's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. "Sweetheart, you're crying..." she said as a tear escaped my eye. It rolled down my cheek ever so slowly down and fell mid-cheek.

      "I can't help it. I thought this nightmare of a man was gone forever, but I was wrong." I said. I tried so hard to not cry, but I was about to cry because I was crying... "Nothing make sense. Why would he come back?" I asked.

     Chandel and Nathaniel looked at each other. "We don't know, sweetheart." said Chandel. "But we'll figure it out."

     "Of course." said Nathaniel. "And I promise I won't lose my head this time. No matter what. I promise I won't lose it."

     I looked at him with teary eyes. Those sweet, but menacing green eyes. "You promise?"

     "I promise." he said softly.