Chapter 13. Two Pink Lines

Now that Bex didn't have any friends, she spent her lunch period holed away in the school's darkroom, developing depressing photos. In there, the loneliness didn't feel so lonely. The photography room became her safe haven, in a place where everything reminded her of Bowie, from the hallway lockers to the gym.

She still hadn't heard from him. It had been almost a week since he'd left. The day before, she'd asked her dad how many days it takes to drive from Shadyside to Los Angeles. Being who he was, her sat down with her, and took out a map to show her the distance. Accounting for stops, he said, two days was realistic. That meant that Bowie had had three days to call her. He promised he would. But nothing. Finally, she couldn't take the stress anymore, and she called him. It went straight to voicemail. She tried him several more times, and got the same. That morning, she'd tried calling him one last time. This time, she got a message that his mailbox was full.

The only bad thing about spending so much time in the darkroom was that the solitude of the place left her alone with her thoughts. As she bathed her photo in water, she thought of the inescapable mess she was in. She felt as if the weight of the world were on her shoulders, and she was crushing beneath it's pressure.

As she worked, the photograph blurred before her eyes, and she realized she was crying. Tears ran down her cheeks, leaving streaks in her makeup. She tried to brush them away with her forearm.

"Bex? Are you okay?"

She jumped. She'd almost forgotten Ms. Fisher was also in the room working, it had been so quiet. The teacher frowned at her with concern.

"I'm fine," she told her quickly, keeping her head down, unable to meet her teacher's eyes.

Ms. Fisher gave her a sympathetic look. "You haven't been yourself lately, Bex. I'm worried about you. Breakups are hard, honey." Everyone had heard about Bowie leaving by then. The teacher paused sadly. "If you're not fine, and you ever need someone to talk to about anything at all, I'm here."

Bex chewed her lip, wondering if she could trust her teacher with her secret. Her instincts told her she could, and it would be a relief to have someone to confide in. But she was still hesitant. "How do I know you won't just tell my parents whatever I tell you?"

"You don't know," Ms. Fisher told her. "You just have to trust me. But I promise you, I wouldn't say anything to anyone, unless you or someone else is in danger. Then I wouldn't have a choice, because it's the law."

Bex leaned against the counter, feeling lightheaded. She opened her mouth to speak, but instead, she broke down. She tore her rubber gloves off, and threw them on the counter, covering her face with her hands. Until this point, she'd been completely numb. But now, she just couldn't take it any more. Her burden was too heavy.

Ms. Fisher handed her a paper towel to dry her tears. "Take your time. It's okay."

Bex accepted the paper towel gratefully. She breathed through her mouth, trying to calm herself. "I think I'm pregnant," she finally mumbled, once she was composed enough to speak.

"What?" her teacher asked.

"I think I'm pregnant," she repeated. Her face crumpled, and she started to cry again. "And I'm scared, and Bowie's gone, and I don't know where he is. I don't know what to do." She breathed shakily.

"Oh Bex," Ms. Fisher sighed. "Have you taken a test?"

She shook her head. "No. But my period's late, and I'm sick every morning. And I just feel... different inside." Unconsciously, her fingertips brushed below her navel.