Chapter One

The shovel hit the ground digging up more and more dirt as Cole tried to dig the biggest hole anyone has ever dug. People doubted him, but his mother told him that as long as he believed in himself, he can do anything if he put his mind to it. He had only dug about two metres down, and his goal was to dig at least 15 meters deep. Nobody wanted to help him because they thought it would take forever. They were probably right; it might take forever, but Cole was determined.

~~~
Six hours later, Cole was about five feet deep when he started to dig up clay and coal. He picked out and saved the pieces of coal for his family to make fire. Since Cole was finding so much coal, he thought about selling it to other people for a low price since all the coal bags in stores are at least $20. He was thinking about selling big chunks of coal for $1 each. Cole forgot about what he was going to do with all the coal and went back to digging.

The shovel hit the ground multiple times helping Cole make the hole deeper and deeper. Cole's mother came out to see how he was doing and bring him a glass of iced water. The sun was boiling, and Cole started to sweat. He was very grateful that his mother had brought him some refreshments to cool him down. Cole was about seven feet deep now. As he started to find more and more coal, he gave up trying to pick out all the pieces since he already had a gigantic pile of it. Cole was about to climb out of the hole to take a break when something caught his eye. It was glistening in the sunlight as Cole called up to his mother asking her what it was. She told him that it was Fluorine and not to touch it. Fluorine was a very reactive element on the periodic table and could hurt him if he touched it. Cole could not help but wonder what would happen if he touched it. He asked his mom to bring down a cloth that he could use to pick up the chunk of Fluorine.

Cole sat on a chair in the shade staring at the block of Fluorine that he had discovered. He reached out his hand to touch it. He automatically remembered what his mother had said and quickly took his hand back. The Fluorine was too tempting. Cole looked around and couldn't see his mother anywhere. Cole returned his gaze to the Fluorine and reached his hand out once more. His fingers touched the Fluorine as it glistened in the sunlight. All of a sudden, Cole started to get really dizzy.