Chapter 9

I jolt awake, for a moment very confused as to where I was while I gasp for breath. I threw off the blanket in a hurry, sitting up and running a hand through my hair.

There was no response from next to me. I could hear him though, along with the sound of running water. Probably went to the bathroom, just in time for me to spasm awake. Lucky for me. I didn't want to explain anything about it to him. I shouldn't have allowed myself to actually fully sleep near him anyways. Dozing was fine, but definitely not sleeping. I need to be more careful...

A wave of ache hits me out of nowhere, prompting an internal groan. Of course it would resurface now. I get up off the couch, taking a deep breath to try and push the feeling back. I make my way into the kitchen, checking the time again. Nearly time to leave, if I really want to go. Bah. Nightmare, then the return of my life-long suffering, and now a family gathering. How lovely.

"Sorry, did I wake you up?"

I don't even turn from staring at the clock.

"No."

"Oh, good. I sneezed awake so I was worried. Um... not that I... sneezed on you."

"Didn't notice."

"Are you leaving?"

"...Once I gather my things, yeah."

I turn away, heading for the hallway. I need my coat, and I should probably try to take something for this disorder of mine before it gets too bad. I don't quite make it though, as he steps into my path. Though I stop immediately, his goes to my side as if to hold me in place. I look over at him, meeting eyes the color of wine carefully inspecting my face, a furrow to his eyebrows and a frown in place of a smile.

"Are you feeling alright? You look pale."

"I'll be fine."

"You know that when you say that, I don't believe you, right?"

"I need to go to this one. It might be the last time I can see-"

My words are interrupted by another wave, one that hits harder to a standing body. I buckle, but he's already taking my weight, letting me use him as support. The hand on my side moves towards my back to support me further, and I grab onto his opposite shoulder tightly.

"Hey, maybe you should lie down..."

"I'm fine. It'll pass."

"What will pass?"

"I can tell you later, I need to get going."

"You're going to walk there when you can hardly stand."

"Falling down a couple times isn't going to kill me."

"Akage-"

"I'm going."

I recollect my weight, and release his shoulder. It doesn't take much to remove his hand from me and walk down the hallway to my room. I work fast, pulling on my coat and grabbing my wallet and phone before heading for the door. I shove my things into my pockets and glance towards the clock. Even leaving now, I'll be late. It doesn't matter though. As long as I go. As long as I see them. It'll be okay.

I can fix things, everything, if I just go.

I hear him behind me but I ignore it. I leave, closing the front door behind me and heading down the stairs. Nothing will stop me now. No matter how many times the ache of nerves firing sporadically knocks me to my feet, I'll keep going. I'll crawl my way there if I have to.

***

It was like torture, to the train, and after the train. Walk a block, fall down, get up. Walk a block, fall down, get up. My hands were scraped, my knees undoubtably bruised. I kept in constant contact with the man back home, who had demanded the address and to know when I arrived so that he could pick me up. I didn't care, even though it felt like an unending cycle.