Granddaughter

A good kingdom wouldn't be able to survive without farms, for the produce can be used for trade between kingdoms and also create duties for their growing subjects. This lead to the growth of farms and houses in the countryside. Not to mention, some liked to be alone and isolated with the oats and rye and the sheeps.

In one of these farmhouses, there was an old married couple with their granddaughter. Her mother had died due to famine and her father was unknown; her grandparents were kind enough to take in their daughter, despite her carrying an unknown man's child, and continue to raise the child when her mother passed. The daughter worked in the farm, tending to the sheep they had but was often found wandering near the small pond nearby with the tall stalks of grass and small creatures in it. She was a wandering kind of fellow, which caused some trouble with her and her grandparents.

Although they were kind enough to take care of their daughter who was seen as a disgrace with the others, the old couple took no nonsense when it came to working. It took a great deal of work until they were able to buy the farm as their own as a noble couple. It was unheard of for a family to rise from being workers to owning the land, so they took it upon themselves to prove that they were capable to be as great as the other rich noble men and women. It was because of their serious attitude towards their duties that made them who they were and able to live a comfortable life. They didn't want their granddaughter to live the hard life they did, so they wanted her to adopt their view on hard work as well. But, she didn't want to just work; she also wanted to have fun and explore the other places of the land.

So, they often ended up in heated arguments, which would end up with the girl storming off into the pond and let her mind wander while hidden by the tall stalks of grass. This became a regular thing as the arguments got worse and worse. The girl was going to become of age soon and the old couple wanted their grandchild to know how to take care of their land once they pass, but she wasn't listening to any of it, her mind distant and off on how the rest of the world would be like. She already knew how to tend to the sheep, what more could possibly be done on the farm? They were nobles, meaning they could hire anyone to do the work for them; but no, they rather do all the dirty work themselves. The girl knew that once she inherits the land as her own, she'll hire others to care for it while she goes off into the world. This, of course, angered the old couple; they worked so hard so that their grandchild won't have to work as hard, but they also didn't want their life's work to go to random strangers! They wanted their family to have it, as proof that poor servants could one day become rich nobles; and here was the youngest member of the family, talking about throwing it all away.

It was after another one of these fights when the girl was found crying by the pond. The small area had been whether down by her many travels there, so there was already a path to it as well as a small groove for where she sat. Her tears would drip down from her cheeks and into the pond as she wept. She started pounding her fist into the water, scaring the small fish, and kept wishing for 'a life she wanted'.

Perhaps it was luck, coincidence, or maybe something higher being was listening to her wish, but after she pounded her fist in the water a third time, beady little eyes were looking at her from the water. From those eyes, a frog appeared slowly out of the water. 'Excuse me,' it said, 'but I couldn't help but listen to your wish.'