My story

I was raised to be a doctor. I'm sure I'm not alone, and I'm sure I'm not the only one for whom not everything went according to plan. After excelling in highschool, I had ups and downs in college. I eventually took the MCAT and applied to an assortment of medical schools. I could not get into any in my state, meaning that if  I were to continue on this path I would need to repeat undergraduate school until I was accepted, or I could attend medical school in places like the Bahamas at an astronomical tuition rate. Fearing debt and failure, I decided instead to attend nursing school with the plan of eventually getting my masters and working as a nurse practitioner. A little over a year into the program, I quit as I became increasingly convinced that I was running on a wheel that was designed by someone else and that was ultimately going nowhere. I foresaw the lack of independence I could exercise in a heavily regulated healthcare system, and I saw the ways in which these regulations served vested interests within the industry. I then began to look for a better path forward. Along the way, I've benefited immensely from the wisdom of several people close to me as well as many people spreading worthwhile ideas on the internet, some of whom I've referenced in this pamphlet. In writing this, I hope to further whatever insight I have received from others and continue a conversation that I firmly believe will help move us in a better direction.

Today, I am writing this not as someone who has arrived, but as someone who is still in transit. I'm thankful to God for the journey he's brought me on thus far, and although I would not have chosen the route that I've taken, I trust that he's working it for good.