Chapter Two

Sorry, but some of this might seem stupid or is cheesy, and I'm looking for a co-editor to help me not make it seem like that. So if anyone wants to help me out, feel free to message me!

   My head hurt slightly as I laid in bed, not wanting to get up for school. The newest people to district 12 had come and started to take over. Mom and Dad had stayed quiet, not telling us what was happening.

  Two years and a month had gone by. Our lives had changed ever so slowly. The new people called themselves Peacekeepers. I didn’t totally understand what they were talking about. They always carried guns and whips with them though.

  Gale ended up being scared more than ever and I couldn’t even go play in the meadow anymore without being yelled at by them. School trudged on slowly, letting us learn fear from the before days.

  Dad held onto us harder than ever, never wanting to let us go. One day Dad tried to keep us home from school, making the Peacekeepers come and yell at him. I could tell they wanted to hurt him but they didn’t and I assumed it was because he was famous.

  They started to whip people in the town square (years after Mom, Dad, and any other person who had lived here before rebuilt the whole town). I was surprised when Mom and Dad didn’t do anything to help us all. The reaping’s had retaken place over the two years, and a few little twists were thrown in. Somehow, all over the world, the Capitols muttations were found and put into larger, newer built arenas for the Games. Someone had restarted everything all over again and I didn’t like it.

  My friend Madge was reaped last year and died in the Cornucopia. She was one of the first ones to go fast. I hated watching her die. That’s the thing. Now every year, instead of one boy and one girl being reaped, 4 girls and 4 guys do. It equals 104 tributes every year. The Games are longer than the older ones that Mom, Dad, and the teachers at school told us about.

  Since the Games took place during the summer, we got to stay home every day, watching our tributes die slowly until the end. But in one simple way, they made sure not to have more than one tribute win each game. Only two have happened and still it has retaken its toll on everything in district 12.

  “Jizabell!” Mom yelled, climbing up the stairs. I closed my eyes, almost refusing her.

  “Jizabell Primrose Everdeen get out of bed this instant and get ready for school!” she called again. I could hear that she was frantic, as if knowing the Peacekeepers would come and get me to go to school unless I was sick. I wasn’t and I should go because it was the last day of school. After a few days passed would be the reaping. And my 11th birthday. I never wanted to hear the name again but knew I would for as long as I lived. Unless I was reaped and put in there to my death.

  My door was thrown open and Mom came in, a little shocking look in her eyes. I tossed my legs over the side of my bed and climbed out, walking toward her.

  “Mom what’s wrong?” I asked quietly. I knew the fear was all over my face and I quickly put on a blank mask.

  “Nothing’s wrong. Just get ready for school. It’s the last day and I can’t help making you go,” she said with an added grimace. I leaned forward and hugged her.

  “It’s the so called Peacekeepers, isn’t it?” I whispered quietly to her. She nodded carefully. I let go and took a step back.

  “Okay, I’ll get ready for school. But can you leave so I can get dressed?” I asked her, planting a lovingly smile on my blank face. She nodded and turned around, walking out of my room. I walked over to the closet and pushed a button. The screen changed slightly and I pushed on the screen, making the cloth rack stop. Inside I pulled out a light blue t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I also pulled out leather boots that matched the ones Mom always wore when she went out. I couldn’t help but smile as I slipped them on. Everything would be nice today. Hopefully the Peacekeepers left us alone as we celebrated the last day of school. I walked down the hall, lifting up my bag as I walked toward the door. Mom reached out and gave me one last hug before I left for school. Outside the air was warm. Nice enough for the last day. A few of the other kids ran from their houses in the Victor village, laughing as they passed. I ran after them, laughing as I sped past Angel, running like it was the last day of the world. She shook her head and kept walking, letting a small chuckle escape from her lips. Prim rushed up next to me, almost tripping me to see what I would do. I shook my head and ran ahead of her. I turned my head to watch her fall behind. My body smacked against something hard and I fell backwards, putting a blank expression on again. As my gaze shifted to look up, I saw a young Peacekeeper looking down at me, his gun pointed toward the ground.