III

I woke up in a cell, a jail cell. I didn't even remember falling asleep, almost wish I did.

The image of my father's corpse was burned into my eyelids. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it out. Sitting in the dark made it worse, as it left me alone with my thoughts. I should have listened to him. I told myself. Had I obeyed him, he would probably still be here. I wasn't sad, nor was I mad. I was in shock - too shocked to feel anything but shock. I just wanted it to end.

I sat up and moaned, my ribs still hurt, but not as bad as they used to. It was that slightly numbing pain you got when you were healing. But I hadn't gone to a hospital, so how were they already healing?

I slowly made my way to my cell door. It was a gray, barred cell, like the ones you would see in movies. No guard stood by me, and there were no other captives. I tried to think back to what my dad had told me. He said I was some sort of hybrid. It was some big word that started with an n. I couldn't remember what it was, but whoever had taken me sure as hell did.

I considered calling out to someone, but who would answer? I had no clue where I was, and if my dad had told me the truth, everyone in the building wanted me dead. Maybe if I played dumb, they wouldn't do anything to me. I'd been left in the dark about things for my whole life, after all. How could I pose a threat to them if I didn't even know what I was?

"Is anybody there?" I called. My throat was raw, as if I'd spent the last few hours screaming my lungs out. "Look, I haven't done anything to you and I don't intend to. I'm the victim here. You sent someone to attack me, and then you killed my father. If anything, you should be the ones behind bars."

"Shut up," a male voice called. "You know very well what you've done. All Nephilim are to be born here with proper supervision. The fact that your mother decided to get pregnant and give birth to you in the mundane world is a major offense. You can only hope that you get off easy like she did."

He must have been referring to what my dad had told me. That after I was born, my mom left, to protect the both of us. Her plan clearly didn't work. But to hear him say that she "got off easy" had me baffled. How would they know? She had gone into hiding, not even my dad knew where she was. If they knew, was there a chance that she was down here in this dungeon with me? I had to know, and I had to get out.

My father had said I was some angel human hybrid. Did that mean I had weird supernatural abilities? Or wings like my mother did? I pressed my hands to my temples. I had too much to think about, and probably too little time to think about it. It was only a matter of time before they decided what to do with me, they being the Council that my dad had described to me, probably. I could tell that they weren't going to make the same mistake they made with my parents, they were going to make quick work of me.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

As soon as the thought crossed my mind, footsteps came into earshot. I tried to peer out to see who it was, but I could barely see anything through the darkness.

"Did you really get him?" someone - a girl - asked.

"Yeah," the guy from before said. "They were just sitting in a truck on the side of a road. I thought that the father was going to be the hardest to get, but he went down quickly. The boys was a little bit harder. He sent me on a chase before he idiotically crashed their truck. He was kneeling over the father's corpse when I found him. I told him to come with me and he didn't object." He chuckled. "He was weak and submissive, all because his father was dead. And to think that he's a Nephilim. Anyways, he's right over here, do whatever you want, my shift is over." I heard his footsteps slowly grow quiet. It was just me and whoever this chick was.