PIECE OF WAR

by:Javer patentes sagario

November 3, 1953. 157 Chinese Nationals, who were thought to be members of the Japanese gang- Yakuza, were being tortured by American soldiers for their crimes. The news spread across the lands in no time. The Chinese government declared war on America.

On January 1, 1954 a big war burst in China.

"Gabriel, that would be nice for him"

"Do you really want to name your son after you?

"Hmmm...But that's quite good...Okay, he will be named Gabriel"

Gabriel, that's the name I gave my unborn son before I left home to go off war.

The life of a soldier is quite interesting, you run for your life and you fight for dignity. Though, soldiers fight for different reasons. Many are trigger happy, many volunteered, some were being forced but most fought for profit and few for dignity and peace. You can count me on the last thing I mentioned, though I'm not that patriotic. I stopped from recalling my memories when one of my lieutenants approached me. "Colonel Gabriel Peller." It's lieutenant Weason, saluting on me. "Two Chinese mercenaries were captured a while ago. They are in the interrogation room now with the other wounded Chinese soldiers, Sir!"

Yeah, I'm a Colonel now, not bad for an imported soldier. Imported... From China to America's armed forces. I am actually a full-blooded American who resided in China way back twenty-five years ago. I lived with my beloved wife Sarah who is a Chinese-American woman. I left her with our baby in her womb to fight on the side of Chinese forces against my own race. But after four months, I was abducted back to America. Actually I was being kicked-out of the Chinese major Yunglan Cheng for the reason that I'm an American lad. In short, I was deported back to my country without leaving even a single word to my family.

"Isolate the new captives." I commanded Lieutenant Weason, "I'll be there next to you."

"Sir, yes Sir!" Then he does as I said.

I went out of my tent and gazed at the sky over me. A beautiful view of the sun rising in the orange sky, clouds colliding and moving with haste that made my heart beat so fast. This is it. After a long time of longing for my family's presence, I can now see my dreams on the horizon. The fruit of my labor, the justice for the happy life that the Chinese deprived me of, is about to come.

It is still vivid in my memory when American Sergeant Niel Ventura took me to fight on their side and promised to help get my family back. I did accept his proposal and have me in their team. I am so used to my skills in combat. Well, humility aside, I was the top-west point graduate in my batch.

On my right, I see my men trying to rescue the other wounded American soldiers. Everything was at a fast pace, men were running from here and there. Entering the killing field is not actually a big-deal for soldiers. Shedding blood, risking lives and taking someone's life are one of our daily routines, but not for me, as I said I'm not that patriotic but I fight for dignity and peace, and most of all I fight for my long-lost family.

"Sir!" Four deputy soldiers saluted me as I entered the cell in which the Chinese soldiers were isolated. I responded with a salute then drew my eyes to the captured enemies.

"Where is your camp?" I asked the two Chinese people questions.

"How many men do you have?"

Both remained silent as if they didn't hear me. One of them stared at me angrily, his eyes showing malevolence to me.

"We will slay you!"This time he's shaking like a lion wanting to be unleashed from a trap. His reaction reminds me of myself when my wife Sarah was confined in the hospital. The doctor told me that she's not capable of giving birth because of her heart condition. It could, but too risky for my dear wife. I was so upset by what I heard, 'till the day came. She bore a baby and was sent to hospital for a check-up. I was so grateful for the good news I heard from her. She told me that she could give birth without staking her own life from the possibility of losing it. As she delivered those words to me, she gently cried and said that she really, really loves me more than any treasure the world could give.