1 - Fifteen Days

"It's been fifteen days." Liam began awkwardly. The whole crowd gasped and some screamed. But  the tone in the room was so solemn, it faded instantly. "Management decided yesterday that the cost of disclosing the information was worth it if it meant finding them sooner." Lies. Someone leaked it.

"Not a call, not a text...Not a single letter." Said Niall blankly, only looking the slightest bit disheartened.

The faceless interviewer was sweating. Nations of people were holding their breath, waiting for these answers. "Not a thing?" Not one of the three boys even twitched. They kept their gazes on their hands, folded on their knees, as they all leaned forwards on the edge of the couch. 

Oh, how the couch looked empty.

Zayn spoke up then, his hair looking dull and lifeless. "We're taking it really hard. We...we just don't know what to do anymore."

"It's everyone." Liam stated quietly.

Zayn came back in. "All the people we see everyday...everyone on our team...The amazing people who...help us all the time...and work just as hard as we do...no one knows what to do. And they," He blinked hard, "They're just as hurt and confused as us." He pressed one finger to the corner of his eye. 

"Simon." Niall added.

"Lots of people from the X Factor." Liam agreed. "Practically anyone who's ever worked with us..." 

"And the search continues?"

Liam took this one. He was told to. "Of course. Finding...them, is uh, Management's top priority right now."

"How exactly did they disappear?"

Niall gulped. This was his question. "We uh, had been booked for a surprise interview. A car was to pick us up and bring us to the hotel the day before...Neither was at home. Everyone panicked, searched everywhere possible. Texts...to calls...to emails...to contacting companies and, controlling satellites. Discreet neighbourhood sweeps were conducted. It was crazy, and no one knew."

"And your first-"

"We didn't know what to think." Zayn began carefully. "At first, we thought nothing. They"ll figure it out. Oh look, wardrobe time, like. It didn't sink in that they were gone until literally, hours before the interview they said we were cancelled, the boys are still missing."

Missing. That word rang throughout Britain. Through Ireland. Through America, Canada, Australia. It was screamed, whispered, typed, deleted, tweeted, texted. Exploded, the world had. Everyone was talking about it. No one knew anything about it.

Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles had managed to disappear of the face of the earth.