reason

I leaned against Galena and she leaned against me but as we leaned against one another I was thinking. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep from thinking.

I thought of how we shouldn't be here, right here in this moment. And how we weren't safe - how she wasn't safe.

"Galena. I don't think this is right." I finally said it, loud and clear.

"What do you mean?" She straightened her posture to look me in the eye.

"This isn't right, that's what I mean. We shouldn't be together. I should have seen this from the very beginning but every time I look at you it all changes. When I see you my entire thought process fades away."

"Ben, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying... I'm saying I love you, Galena."

She didn't answer so I went on.

"I love you," I repeated. "I love you and I don't want to lose you. And I think it's best if we end this now to keep from suffering later."

She laughed even though I could see the tears welling up in her eyes.

"You must be joking. You've got to be. Because news flash, I love you too, Ben. And that doesn't just happen without a reason."

"I'm not joking, Gal. We've got to stop this. Stop it before someone gets hurt."

"Don't lie to me, Ben. I know you're lying. You've got to be lying." She insisted. "So are you going to tell me? Are you going to tell me what the heck is going on with you?"

I didn't answer. She was right. I hated that she was always right.

She grabbed my hand. "What are you not telling me?"

"We have a mission." I spit it out.

"Oh my-"

"We're leaving sometime next week."

"Ben, where?"

"Paris."

"Paris, France?"

I nodded. She was speechless and so was I.

She searched for the right questions to ask. "Will you come back? Will I ever see you?"

She had moved closer to me in her hysteria. Her hands were so tight on mine I thought I would lose blood flow.

"I don't know."

"That's-"

"Galena. What if I die? What if I never come back? I can't leave you like that."

"Hey, everything is going to be alright." She smiled, something I never imagined would happen in this conversation.

"You'll come back." Galena assured me. "I know you will, because I love you. And I know we wouldn't be here right now if we weren't meant to be here in the future."

I ignored everything she had said. "I've got to go. They'll be missing me."

I stared at her. This could be the last time I ever see her. My beautiful Galena. I was feeling courageous in that moment. Her hands weren't too far so I grabbed them.

"Gal, I-"

I was interrupted by the touch of her lips against mine. This is how it was supposed to be.

There is always a first time for everything. But the only thought that crossed my mind was that I needed to work on holding my breath.

And then it was over. We both smiled.

"Goodbye, Galena." I ran back to the house, not waiting to hear her goodbye, in fear that I might burst into tears.

Klaus wasn't waiting at the door this time and I was grateful. But someone else was standing in his place... Luther.

"Wowza, Ben. Who was that?" I felt like I didn't need to answer his blond nosy self. But we were brothers and that was reason enough.

I ignored the fact that we never talked to one another except on rare occasion. I put away our past and attempted to look toward a new possible friendship.

"Just a girl."

He laughed. "I wish I knew just a girl that well. She was hot."

"Yeah, don't call her that."

"Oh, okay." He looked surprised. "I get it. She's yours. Trust me, I won't try anything. Just trying to be a big brother here."

I hated that big brother crap. We were literally the same exact age. But it's okay. I'll keep it cool. I'll deal with it.

"I promise you there's just as much going on between me and Galena as there is between you and Allison."

I pulled the innocence card even though everyone knew about Luther and Allison's relationship. Everyone had see her necklace with their initials engraved on the heart. That comment should set him back a little. He knows that I was right.

It felt a little gross to me that brother and sister should be together. Of course, we're not biological siblings, but just the thought of it...

Luther laughed uncomfortably. "Woah... Low blow, man. You know what, Ben. You're kinda funny. I like that."

"Ben! Ben!" Allison came running to me but quickly stopped when she saw Luther. "Oh... hello." She blushed in his direction. I scoffed to myself.

After a solid minute of googly eyes between the two, I interjected.

"You wanted to talk to me, Allison?"

"Oh! Oh yeah. Yeah about that... I didn't know you a had girlfriend!"

"She's not my girlfriend."

Allison ignored my comment. "I wish I had someone like that. She's so pretty, too. You two are so cute. I bet she's not as much fun as me though." She smirked and glanced at Luther.

"Actually," I started to disagree but thought otherwise, as the two were making googly eyes, again. "Yeah."

I wondered if they had already kissed. I wouldn't doubt it, no matter how gross it is.

"Well, see ya." I said, putting my hands in my pockets to escape. I don't think either of the lovebirds heard me, though.

Of course the only day something happens is the day everyone decides to spy on me. But now I felt obligated to tell Klaus since both Luther and Allison knew.

I went in his room, not bothering to knock.

"Hey-"

"Ah!" He exclaimed, turning around to face me and making an attempt to hide something behind his back. "Oh, Ben. It's just you. Good." He sighed in relief bringing the glass he held to where I could see it. "Close the door."

I did.

I looked at his glass then back up to him. "Is that-"

"Brandy? Yes and it's wonderful."

"I don't think you sho-"

"It's fine. Anywho," he stumbled towards me. "What does my dear prince have to tell me?"

"We kissed."

He looked confused. "I never kissed y- oh! You and that girl? Glen- Gail- Galena? Goodie! I'm so so proud!" He clapped, spilling some of the toxic liquid on the floor.

He filled up another glass, overflowed it, and handed it to me. "Cheers to a happy marriage!"

I took it with disgust as he downed the rest of his bottle. "Yeah, cheers."

I watched him and hoped that it was just a pure teenage phase.