Prologue

Sometimes I just can’t catch a break. 

Now you’re probably going, Geez Kayla. Get a grip, but I have a right to feel this way. 

Grabbing an apple and a bottle of water, I make my way to the garage.

In 20 minutes I’ll be attending my first day of school as a Senior. 

Yeah, that’s right. Senior Year, and I’m the new kid. 

Every teenager’s nightmare.

Dear old daddy got relocated here in Ohio for his job with the law firm, which means that dad, mom, Mason and I got relocated. Let's just say that I've already been missing the palm trees and weather. It's not that it was cold here in Dayton, but California provided 24/7 humid weather that made sure your skin was always sun-kissed. 

At least Mason was lucky, he already graduated high school and didn't have to suffer the torment and ridicule of being the unknown new person. He planned to go to Ohio State so all was good for him. 

Starting the engine of my Red Ford sedan (daddy’s bribery gift to help with the change), I back my way out of the driveway and off to the new school that I am oh so excited for. Note the sarcasm.

The route was a lot quicker than I thought and before I knew it, I was pulling into the parking lot of Bay Vista High. After parking I quickly checked my reflection in the visor.

You can do this, Kayla. It’s just another typical day. Don’t let anyone scare you.

With one last huff I step out of my baby and put the bravest front I could muster. Judging by first impressions, Bay Vista looked like another school filled with stereotypes. The varsity jocks and cheerleaders all to one side donning their jackets, to the geeks with their heads stuck in books. Seeing as though it was the first day, even though everyone did their catch ups, eyes and more eyes floated to me, curiosity filling each and everyone on who the new girl could be. 

I tried to ignore the stares, but as I continued to walk up the steps to the front doors, anxiety was eating away at me. 

Pushing the mahogany doors open, I quickly search for the office and try to get there as fast as I can. 

This is going to be a long day.