tilly | chapter 3

I was back with Penelope. She didn't smile, but a certain look of pride sparkled in her eyes. I flashed a light grin, forgetting that I had watched a boy die. Well, not forgetting, more like intentionally doing nothing. It wasn't a good feeling.

"You did well. Some may have thought Raine was just some mean sister, but you picked it out."

I knew she was just saying that to hype me up. It was obvious Raine was Elliot's love. Anyone could tell that. 

"So, I have another couple for you. Two sweet college girls, but they aren't meant for each other. You'll be focusing on Tilly, the younger of the pair. Take the pieces, and return them to me. Another cupid will deal with her counterpart," Penelope explained. She gave me another white pouch, this time embroidered with the name "Tilly Rose May Thomas". I assumed she had two middle names because she was Catholic, and when they were confirmed they could take on another name as a second name and saint that they admired. That, or her parents were just extra.

I closed my eyes, enduring the fiery pain once more. It got easier every time, lucky for me.

When I opened my eyes, I was in a small dorm bedroom. It was an eggshell color, with lots of decorations hung on the walls. Polaroids, sketches, dream-catchers, and other assorted aesthetics pleased the eye. It was a warm space.

There were two beds in the room, one with a pale pink theme, and the other navy blue. The pink bed had a comforter that was-- of course-- pink. It was embellished with tiny white and yellow flowers. The pillowcases were pink silk. Stuffed animals hung out on this bed. It was really cute, something I had never been able to accomplish with my own home space.

The navy blue bed had a dark galaxy comforter, and a single black pillow. There was one out of place stuffed animal-- a cute chunky cat. It must have been a gift.

As soon as I was done taking in the space, two girls entered through the door, which had a bunch of stickers plastered to it. They smiled, holding hands and looking into one another's eyes. I couldn't fathom that they weren't meant for one another like Penny had said.

"Hey, uh, I've got practice late tonight Tills, but I'll make dinner when I get back?" 

The girl that said this was tall, slim, and dressed in casual dark clothes. Her hair was short and black, with cute bangs that went to her eyes. She had a hardy look, while still coming off as soft and gentle. Her skin was dark and glowed like sunshine. Her companion, who I assumed to be Tilly, was a lot lighter and soft-looking than her partner.

She wore pastels, and her hair was long and blonde. She had a round, cute face and thin lips. 

"Oh, well I mean I guess I can cancel the restaurant thing," Tilly sighed, looking down. I knew that she wasn't meaning to come off as rude. Her partner knew that too.

"I know baby, I'll make it up to you, I swear," the girl said, apologetic. I already saw the problem here. Tilly had so much time, and she gave most of it to her girlfriend. Her girlfriend was always busy, and never really took any time off to love Tilly like Tilly loved her. It was no one's fault, just a misconception in their ability to keep up with one another.

Tilly pushed a smile, looking up to kiss her girlfriend. It was heartbreaking, because in both of their eyes you could see they knew. 

Love is so confusing.

"Uh, you don't think we could sleep together tonight, could we?" Tilly said, her eyes wide. Did she mean-?

"Nightmares again babe?" 

Ah.

"Yeah, but if you don't wanna I totally get it Nadia," Tilly said. She played with her hands, not meeting Nadia's eyes. Nadia pulled Tilly's chin up, grinning with all her teeth.

"Don't ever think I wouldn't," she said gently. Nadia checked her phone, sighing, "I've gotta go. Love you from practice and back!" Nadia called after Tilly. She closed the door, leaving little Tilly to her devices.

She set her backpack onto her bed, letting out a small breath. She took out a laptop and began to type away. I looked at what she was working on. It was an essay, probably for some class she had. After a short while, she stopped, curling into a tiny ball.

Soon enough, I could tell she was asleep.

It wasn't a good sleep though, from the twitches and sighs that escaped Tills. She was restless, the tiny bags under her eyes explained that well enough. All of her energy was going into this relationship, and she was getting nothing back.

Time ticked by, and soon enough Nadia was back. She was quiet as a mouse, making sure to not wake Tilly. She carried takeout in her arms, presumably for dinner. Upon seeing Tilly was already asleep, she dropped the takeout moved to Tilly's bed. Nadia shut the laptop, put it back in Tilly's bag, and moved Tilly into her lap.

Nadia stroked Tilly's blonde hair, compassion in her eyes. She caressed the eye bags. She knew.

"Nadia...?" Tilly slurred, her eyes fluttering open. Nadia smiled softly, slowly shaking her head. This was it.

"We can't go on like this anymore Tills. You're tired all the time, and I just cant keep myself with you as much as you need. I want to Tills, but we need to stop pretending it's okay," Nadia sighed. Tilly's eyes widened in shock, but she said nothing. "Look, you can't even finish schoolwork because you're so caught up in keeping me happy. It has to stop."

"N-no, I'm fine Nadia, I s-swear!" Tilly sobbed, pushing her head into Nadia's arm. I frowned. This was why love was risky. No matter what Tilly or Nadia did, it would never work.

"You're not fine. I know you. I'm gonna leave this month's rent, and I'll find a place to stay until I can afford my own apartment. Okay?"

"It can't b-be over! I n-need you!" Tilly bawled. Nadia laid Tilly back on her bed, shaking her head. Tilly didn't argue any more. She curled up in a ball, not facing Nadia any longer. Nadia sighed, looking around the apartment, probably for the last time. Her eyes settled on the polaroids.

With a swipe of her hand, they were gone. It was better for Tills that way.

I sat beside Tilly, gathering the little pieces of her soul. I knew Nadia wouldn't get them, because somewhere another cupid was taking her pieces too. 

Before Tilly had even stopped crying, I closed my eyes again.

•••

I almost cried writing this one. :( Poor Tilly, let alone Nadia. How was it?~