Rudy, Death and a Mistake.

Liesel couldn't stand it anymore. As she saw the lemon haired boy being carried out from the rubble her heart was crushed. She already lost her parents. She couldn't lose anybody else.

As I took the boy's soul I couldn't resist looking back at Liesel, staggering over to her defeated, yellow haired best friend. Even with the grime, tears and rubble that was smeared on her face the book thief looked beautiful.

I walked away sorrowfully when I felt Rudy's soul tugging at me, trying to let go. Some souls have done this as their final way to escape me. It was fairly normal for a soul to this.... But Rudy's soul was different. Rudy's soul felt warm against me. His soul felt like a baby's first breath. His soul felt like a heart beating. His soul felt alive.

I have made a terrible mistake. I guess that Rudy made me so curios that I was going to take his soul before his time. I can't do that. It's against the rules. I rushed back to Rudy's corpse where Liesel was about to bend over him to give him his final wish, as I did the opposite of what I usually do.

His soul went back where it was supposed to be. I stepped back and saw Liesel kissing Rudy Stiener, her best friend soft and true on his lips.

"Good night, book thief." I whispered as I walked away, with one less soul to carry. I wouldn't see the book thief and the yellow haired boy in a long time.