Chapter Two

I heard growling.

Opening my eyes once more, the snow fell onto my face. My body shivered in the cold snow, and there I saw, a savage wolf with snow covering its fur. It was all up in my face. From here, I could smell its disgusting breath, causing me to feel nauseous. The wolf's pack of three was behind it, backing it up for support. Its grisly eyes stared right back at me, but I didn't move.

Well, not my body, but my mouth.

"Hey," I shuddered. It growled at me again and squinted. "HEY!" The wolf in my face backed up with fear.

I sat up a bit, "Hey, get out of here! Leave!" They whined. "I am not dead! Go! Shoo!" After what seemed like forever, the wolf sneered and ran off, the others following. The wolves' paws imprinted the snow behind them. The snow was all I heard. I shook my head, dizziness coming through.

"What the hell?"

Whew, close one. I grunted and stood up, looking at the paw prints in the snow. Grabbing my staff, I trudged away.

"So, I woke up in this very forest on the ground, not recognizing anything but myself. Then, I suddenly met a wolf, somehow not eaten." I gripped my staff. "Why am I here?"

I merely continued walking, my tiredness washed over me.

Again, silence. It was eerie, like normal. The forest was calming to me, though, even though I just encountered wolves. The crunch of snow filled my ears, a pleasing sound.

Still, I haven't seen a sole person yet. Or buildings.

No buildings yet.

Not yet.

I kept thinking 'yet' because I hoped there would be at least one of both very soon.

I looked at the tattoo once more, making no sense of it.

Suddenly, as fate would have it - somewhat - I heard a high-pitched scream to my left.

A person.

Was it a person?

I didn't care, if there was a person here, I wanted to meet them.

Shooting my head in that direction, I hesitated to head over. I pushed the leaves and bushes that claimed my face. The snow fell on top of me, causing me to shiver. My shuddered breath wheezed as the cold air filled my lungs.

A gigantic animal of which I've never seen until now confronted a person that gripped a gigantic stick. The person saw me between the thicknesses of the bush. They cried out in panic, "Help! Please!" I didn't know what I could do, but I gripped my staff and ran over to the animal.

Extensive scales and spikes enveloped its body, grisly teeth, daring yellow eyes, and a bushy tail. Snow covered its metallic armour. It looked like a unique mix between a wolf and a bear, but also a porcupine.

Huh?

First a few wolves and now this thing.

I cautiously approached the animal, instantly raising my staff and battered it. Or, attempted to.

The animal thrust me back with its massive paws, pinning me to the ground. My bones felt broke and I could feel bleeding coming along. The snow smothered me. I couldn't see. Instantly, the animal got up in my face, leaving me with no space to breathe. I held my staff to its neck, my arms already wearing out.

My arms shook. My breathing got faster. My heart seemed to beat a hundred beats per minute.

Coldness surrounded me.