prologue

Eleven Years Ago

"Mr. Urie, is it true that you assaulted the mother of your child, and your child as you passed them in the street?" The judge's monotone voice echoed through the overcrowded courtroom, putting everyone who knew Brendon into shock.

"That- That-" he took a breath, complete and utterly lost for words at the false claim that Anita had made. "No your honour, that's absolutely ludicrous, it's a false claim, I haven't even seen my son since the last trial as you ordered me to stay away. That's what I did to avoid further evidence being put against me."

Tears streamed down Brendon's pale cheeks as his good friend Dallon put an arm around his shoulder in order to comfort him.

"Mr. Urie, is it true you denied child support payments?" The judges words hit Brendon with a thud. His jaw almost dropped to the floor as pain flooded his eyes and heart.

"I'm sorry your honor, but that's once again a false statement, I have the evidence that I transfer money each week to support Mason," a lump sat in Brendon's throat as he attempted to hold back the tears. They were punching at his eyeballs, urging to be released.

"All rise for the verdict."

Everyone rose, waiting to hear the fate of the toddler Brendon had fought for since his birth.

"Mason Urie will remain in the custody of Anita Simmons."

Brendon fell to the floor, tears streaming down his cheeks as his heart broke once again into a million pieces. "Your honor, can I please at least have contact with Mason?"

"Mr. Urie, the verdict has been ma-"

"But please your honor, he's my everything!" Brendon's voice got louder as he began to shake, panicking over the thought he would never get to see his child again. He couldn't afford to take the repulsive mother of his child to court again, he'd used the last of his savings.

"The verdict has been made." With that, the judge was gone and just Brendon remained in the courtroom alongside his good friends.

It was over. He had lost. He had lost his heart, his family, his son, his world, his everything. And there was nothing he could do about it.