chapter one

"So you said you tend to feel nauseaous?"

"Yes, and I've been vomiting a fair lot lately."

"Right. And this is all of a sudden?"

"Ever since Wednesday." I looked at the calender hanging from the wall next to my mothers computer. Red lines crossed through days that have passed. Today was friday.

"What did you eat Tuesday?"

"Toast in the morning, tea around 11 as usual, for lunch I had a salad and for dinner some chinease."

"Okay. So from what you're telling me, all you have is food poisoning. Nothing seroious. According to my stats your are very healthy and active so I can only assume you're not sick with any flu's. The food poison will pass eventually. And in the mean time drink lot's of water and it's best if you stay away from that chinease place." I watched as my mother smiled and esscorted the paitent out of her office.

She turned to me and walked over. I slowly closed my notebook and looked up at her.

"Taking notes I see."

"Got to entertain myself somehow." It was like this every time. When my school declaired a snow day I would help my mother at the clinic.

"Why don't you run me some erinds?" The clock on the wall read 2:55. I had 35 minutes to kill before we would be going home.

"Sure." I picked up my bag from the floor and shoved my notepad and pen into it.

"I need these dropped off at the post office, I need three stamps as well, I need you to buy me some panadol from the store as well as some mints and if possible, I need you to visit Mr and Mrs Styles." I grimanced at the name. They were next richest family in Marysford. Our families are very close, but I always suspect some sort of rivery between my parents and Mr and Mrs Styles. My mother handed me a handful of letters and money.

"This one, is for the Styles family." She placed a baby blue envalope ontop of the pile in my hands.

"Don't you dare open it Ivy. It's important stuff that you wont understand." I nodded and placed the letters in my bag.

I pulled my coat on and left the office while waving to my mother.

Once outside the clinic I turned and headed towards the post office since it was closest.

Snow was falling lightly around me making it hard for me to see. The wind was starting to pick up and I could feel my shoes slipping beneath me on the ice. I looked up from the ground and could see the red post office sign. I picked up my pace and soon enough I was inside.

I walked up to the lady behind the desk. She stopped fiddling with some letters before looking up at me. A smile spread across her face.

"Vada, sweetheart, how are you?" Her voice was soft and calming.