Silent Night

Noise is all I hear not a night of piece. Guns blazing. Typical. People crying. Yawns. Ghetto neighbors. What's New. The hours I spend hearing the same crap from these thin walls is amazing. My room is square in the middle of all the action. Even though the building attendants have drama I swear every day it never gets boring but annoying on nights when I need sleep. Suddenly I hear a faint cry. I crack open my door to see if it's coming from downstairs. Sometimes it's tricky because of my neighbors to tell the difference. I hear it again as I slowly creep downstairs it's my mom. Wide eyed. For a split second I try to analyze the situation to make sense of this. My dad is intoxicated and is blocking her screams for help. His muscular arms are wrapped around her neck like a vise grip his veins are bulging his eyes are red.I dash down the rest of the way, using my little hands to punch him in the head and bony feet to kick with all my might. It wasn't enough with a swift of his arm I was face planted into the floor then there was no noise at all complete utter quiet. No one nor nothing made a sound my worse nightmare couldn't compare to this. I'd rather lay here than see what I fear could leave a permanent image on me. Once again I felt like that girl who couldn't protect her mom, that girl who is stuck up, that girl.... All the commotion stop no more desperate cries for help and no more movement just the sounds of heart beats. Except I only heard two pounding. For this one night for once I wished it wasn't a silent night.