Step 1: Go to your best friend's party

When the world decides what your life will be, it will not change its mind. That's how my life is. I'm destined to be an ordinary girl for the rest of my life. Well, that's what I thought. 

                                                                                                   ***

"Mum, mum, mum," I nagged. "Please may I go to Bella's party?? I have to let her know by tonight! Plus, she's letting me be the entertainment there by playing her piano! Her uncle's a talent agent - maybe he'll see how good I am and give me an opportunity become famous!"

"Jennie! Can you stop? I'm trying to cook dinner here!! If I cut off my finger, the blame's on you!" Still, Mum put her knife down and faced me. "My daughter, my sweet sweet girl. I just want you to live a normal life! I want your dreams to come true too, but darling, you're only 14! Too young to become one of those fancy-shmancy piano players! I'll give you the chance when you're 17, or 18. Ok?"

"Mum, please. I'm begging you." Time for the crocodile tears. "This is my only chance!" A tear spilled out. Practice makes perfect.

In an instant, Mum enveloped me in one of her famous bear hugs. And at that moment, I knew. She had given in. The tears always get her.

"Don't cry - of course you can go..." Mum whispered in my ear. "Just don't tell Dad. He'll kill me!"

I laughed and nodded. "Thanks Mum!"

"Mummmyyyy!! Rosie hit meee!!!" My little brother Jackson came running from the living room, wailing. Rosie followed him close behind, a look of guilt showing on her face. The twins were always causing problems - not just at home. Many times Mum had been called in to their school, with the kindergarten teacher complaining that they were two little menaces (an exaggeration, of course), who fought with the other kids and among themselves. But still, Mum was lenient each time and smothered them with kisses each night, making them promise not to do it again - you can guess how that worked out.

Straight away, I let go of Mum and rushed out of the room. I did not want to be involved in  those two troublemakers' fights. So instead, I ran up the stairs into my room and called Bella.

"Hey, Bells," I said when she answered. "I've got something to tell you!!!!"

"WHAT IS IT? TELL ME JEN JEN!!!!" Bella suddenly sounded super excited. She had probably already guessed that I was coming to her party, but wanted me to say it myself.

"Guess what?"

"WHAT??????? JUST TELL ME ALREADY!!!"

"I CAN GO TO YOUR PARTY!!!!!!"

A chorus of screams erupted from both of us. Yes, we acted like 8-year-olds, but that was us!

Just a couple of screaming, excited 8-year-old girls - except we were 14!