three

Kurt blinks a few times to adjust his eyes to the sunlight bursting through his window. His head is throbbing, and his hand instinctively touches his temple, letting out a quiet groan.

Ah, the consequences of drinking. Kurt always tells himself he'll never do it again, because why cause yourself unnecessary discomfort?

But he always finds a way to disobey his own orders.

Kurt realises he won't go back to sleep. He can't, with what feels like a school bell going off non-stop in his head, and reluctantly gets out of bed to get ready for the day.

Somehow, Kurt manages to brush his teeth and use the toilet without crashing onto the floor, and is incredibly slow with putting on a fresh pair of boxers.

Suddenly, there's a knock on the bedroom door, and that sets off a trigger in Kurt's head. The events of last night, oh God, are flooding his mind, and the only person that could be at his door is Jake.

"Kurt? You awake?"

Kurt hasn't got the energy right now to panic, so he trudges to the door and pulls it open, being met with a red-eyed Jake with dishevelled hair and clothes that are still clearly damp from last night's rain dance.

"What's up," Kurt mumbles, and slips past Jake, yawning as he heads for the steps. He's barely paying attention, so it's natural that he misses the first step and loses his balance.

Kurt doesn't have a chance to even fall - somehow, Jake manages to grab his dumb ass.

Jake is standing right behind Kurt, holding onto his arm with one hand. Kurt's entire body is leaning against the stairs, but he can't help but think that maybe Jake is super jacked under all those loose clothes...

Wrong.

"Kurt, please get up, I don't have any upper body strength!"

Kurt snorts and slowly gets to his feet as Jake lets him go, before making his way down again.

"Thanks for that. My head hurts so bad," Kurt mumbles, walking over to the kitchen and switching on the electric kettle. He grabs two mugs and motions to Jake.

"Coffee?"

"Oh, please."

The two are silent as Kurt faces away from Jake, spooning instant coffee powder into each mug, and pouring boiling water. Kurt turns back around to give Jake his coffee and sits on a stool next to him.

Kurt takes the first sip of his coffee and sighs in relief. Ah, delicious.

"So, you have a huge house."

Oh god, Kurt, come up with a good lie.

"Um, I work hard, saved up," he mutters, taking another sip of coffee.

Jake seems to notice Kurt's sudden panic because he laughs and shakes his head. "Hey, chill out, dude. It's not like you're secretly an heir of some big rich family or something."

Kurt's eyes widen and he splutters, coffee in his mouth going the wrong way and shooting out of his nose. He slams down his mug, coughing loudly as he tries to breathe properly.

"Sorry, just-," Kurt takes a second to breathe in, "Just breathed wrong while I was drinking my coffee."

Kurt can tell Jake is sceptical. Nevertheless, Jake smiles and sips his coffee.

°°°

Kurt and Jake decide to eat the greasiest breakfast possible to deal with their hangovers.