Chapter 18: 2311 Dolphin Point

A rush of tourists and teenagers jostle me around as I push through them to reach the door of Great White Surf. I don't know why I expected less right before a surf competition, but this place seems larger than life now. I totally feel the weight of the world that Vin is carrying on his shoulders.

Kristin slams the register shut and scrunches her nose at me. It's almost enough to make me bolt for the door. Almost. I don't know what I did to offend her, but I think I'm guilty by association.

"I need to see your boss," I say. I stiffen my shoulders and stand up straight, hoping she'll get the hint that I'm not backing down and I'm not scared of her or her bleached hair.

"He's busy," she hisses back at me. Her arms fold across her chest. She's not backing down either.

Deep breath. "I get that," I say. "But it's important. It won't take long."

I leave out the part that I need to see him for my own selfish reasons – to prove to myself he's still that jerkoff who tried to sell me cheap hair dye in a spray can and he's not this super cool guy who spilled his secrets across the sand last night.

"He doesn't have time to–" Kristin's words are swallowed by the sugar cube rush diving over the counter to hug me.

"Haley! What's up?" Topher shouts in my ear.

I squeeze him into a tight hug and say the only thing that I possibly can. "I need to see your brother."

Topher jerks his thumb toward the area behind the counter. "This way."

Linzi is with me in spirit. I've got her stupid fairy hop bounce and clown painted smile wrapped from ear to ear. However, I refrain from looking back over my shoulder at Kristin and giving her a "haha!" smile that Linzi would flash in a heartbeat.

Topher pushes the office door open. Vin is drowning in invoices and boxes. He glances up over the mess, and his shoulders fall with relief that it's just his brother and not the surf world CEOs coming to take over.

"Brought a visitor," Topher says. He pulls me into view, and Vin cracks a smile.

I think my heart might've just melted. Or exploded. Or completely stopped pumping.

Topher bails on me instantly, leaving me lingering underneath the office doorway, too scared to enter but too excited to truly hold myself back.

"I could definitely use a ray of sunshine right about now," Vin says. "Good timing."

I push the door closed behind me and walk over to the desk. "You look overwhelmed."

"Overwhelmed was about two hours ago. I'm outright lost now," he says. He falls back in his chair, his eyes pleading for some sort of salvation to get him through the next few days.

A strand of hair falls into my face, and I brush it back behind my ear before Vin can. "Do you need some help?" I ask.

My thoughts flash to Solomon for a split second, his blue reflection bouncing around the guest room right now, and I pray his lucky light can reach me this far from the condo.

I think the light found its way to Vin's eyes instead though because they are bluer than I've ever seen them – melted icebergs and specks of Ocean Blast Energy – and I could drown happily inside of them.

"You're the best," he says. He pushes off the chair and pulls me out the door behind him. He lets Topher know that he's leaving him in charge, and we hit The Strip.

*****  

Vin opens the doors on the back of the trailer that Jace hauled down into the sand. There are crates upon crates of T-shirts, and as boring as it may be, my and Vin's afternoon task is to sort them out by color and size. Then box them again for the opening morning of the competition.