Chapter 1: Wyatt's First Problem

Earlier that night...

“And fuck the both of you!” The beautiful Spanish girl with the curls yelled. Jana, the girl, flipped them off, turned on her heels and marched away from their stairs until she disappeared behind a corner. 

“I swear,” Tyler muttered as soon as Jana left. “She needs to get that stick out of her ass.” Tyler suddenly realized that he and his friend Jake took it too far when they insulted Jana’s birth mom (because everyone knew that her birth mother was a whore). He took his cigarette and took a nice long drag. He didn’t feel the burn of the smoke filling his lungs anymore. He was twenty-two years old. He’d been smoking since his earliest years of high school. All he felt now was the numbness and the addiction carving his lack of appetite.

Jake laughed, taking a swig of his beer. “Damn right, brother. Speaking of her ass,” He said, “She’s got a nice one.”

“I hate you so much,” Tyler rolled his eyes at Jake, blowing out the smoke in a large fog that covered both of their lines of sight.

“And I hate the both of you,” came a sudden voice from behind them.

Tyler and Jake both turned around just to see that it was Wyatt, the guy who moved in with them a few weeks ago. 

Tyler scooted away from Jake just so he could make a path for Wyatt, since he and Jake were sitting on the steps of the apartment building.

Wyatt stomped down the steps and stood in front of them, glaring down at them from behind his thick glasses. “Smoking?” He said, glaring at Tyler. “And drinking?” He glared at Jake. “I can’t believe this.”

“Ooh grow up,” Jake returned the guy’s glare. “People smoke, people drink. What’s it to you? What? You scared that you’ll turn into some monster?”

Tyler couldn’t help but laugh. He too had been drinking, but he wasn’t as drunk as Jake was at this very moment. Tyler scoffed, “Dude, Wyatt’s going to kill you with his brain powers.” At this, both guys cracked up laughing, Tyler slapping his knee while doing so.

For a moment, Wyatt considered kicking one of them, but Tyler interrupted his thoughts. “If you’re so disgusted with us, then move out.”

Wyatt’s mouth fell open, trying to come up with some snarky remark to say to him. Nothing came to his mind, which was very unusual for him.

“You know I can’t,” Wyatt finally said, taking the calm moment from the two guys to push up his glasses. “I know you two from way back and I need this cheap place.”

“Well then,” Jake said, again sipping his beer and then wiping his mouth with his long sleeve, “Don’t fucking complain.”

“I bet this pussy never even drank before,” Tyler laughed and Jake joined with him once again.

Wyatt was fuming. “What did you call me?”

“You’re a pussy,” Tyler repeated. He tossed his cigarette to the ground and smashed it with the tip of his shoe. “What kind of prune are you, man? You don’t drink, you don’t smoke, you don’t party, and you don’t ever go outside at night or even in the day.”

Wyatt made a fist so tight that his knuckles were turning white. Why did he ever have to move in with such assholes? He was desperate for a cheap place to stay. Why did he have to put up with them? Because they were the original people living in the apartment room. There was nowhere Wyatt could escape, not even in his logical thoughts. “You’re one to talk. Your smoking and your drinking, and your constant partying…You’ll both die before you can reach thirty. And yet you make fun of me for being healthy.” He crossed his arms and waited for a reaction.