Chapter 2- Mark

Thump! My heart was beating fast again! I just don't know why. These past few days, I've started barfing, sometimes with blood. It feels like my heart is going to leap out of its place. It really scares the shit out of me and I don't even know what to do. With the kind of life we have now here in Concordia you just don't know what will happen next; could be biological warfare or bombings, we just don't know.

I just looked at Cass as she swiped her Concordian Pad. It was given to every Concordian when he or she reaches 12 years of age. It's the best thing you could ever find here. It is an 'essential' here in Concordia. This pad has everything. You can call, insta-mail, secure your house, and the list goes on. The possibilities are endless with the Pad.

"Will you look at that, the Marshalls have a lead that there would be another Invidian attack near Area 77. These Invidians really gives me the creeps." Cass said. I didn't react. I was more focused on making the hard thumping of my heart stop. I just massaged my chest and took slow breaths. It usually does the trick but it seems that it is not going away.

"Mark? Are you alright?" Cass's voice suddenly interrupted me. I felt the beads of sweat on my face as it trickles down to my neck. I saw Cass's concern and I felt guilty. I never told her anything about how I'm feeling. I'm scared that she will leave me because of this. Plus, I never really opened up to her about anything. I could but I can't. I don't even know what was holding me back. The feeling of intimacy through talking was just never there in our relationship.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine" I finally managed to say. I just sighed and focused on Cassie. I can see her brow furrow as if she was trying to analyze me. I smiled and kissed her on the cheek. I never tried going for the lips since she said it was off limits for now, which I totally respect.

"It doesn't look okay to me Mark –" I looked at her and saw worry and sadness on her eyes. I touched her hand and nodded to assure here that I was fine. Although it felt like I was also assuring myself that I am fine. It may sound gay but this damn thing is getting to my head. I just don't want to die that early. I still want a future.

"I'm totally fine Cass." I stopped her from saying anything more and kissed her on the forehead and smiled. I guess that assured her when she just sighed, eyed her pad and started to read and swipe again.

"If you say so." I heard her whisper. It made me wonder, why I went out with Cass. All this time I just wanted to play to my heart's content but Cass was always there for me and she changed me little by little. I have always tried to figure out why her; and I always end up pointing out that she's nice and pretty and I like hanging out with her. But I feel like there is something missing between us.

I massaged my chest area from time to time but avoiding doing so when I think Cass is watching me. We were walking back to the classroom when a group of teachers passed us. They were running and moving frantically towards one direction and it made me wonder what might had happened that made them that way. I ignored it and continued to walk, but something tells me I should know what's happening. I have this certain urge to ask someone who might know what happened but I tried to shrug it off. I was by the door to our classroom, when I saw our school nurse Xandra.

"Hey, Xandra! What happened?" I asked her. She was pacing towards the same direction where the teachers went. She stopped when she saw me and just waved her hand before speaking. Cass also stopped but she seems uninterested.

"Someone fainted in front of room 203." I was intrigued about what she said when Cass tried to talk me into leaving. She is actually scared of Xandra since she doesn't believe that Xandra is a nurse. She thinks she is some undercover assassin or what. Well, Xandra looks like a goth but she is a good person.

"Come on, that's not important. It doesn't concern us. You're holding her back from her work." Cass said. Xandra nodded and turned away. She continued walking when my instinct told me to ask her who fainted. Xandra looked at us and contemplated if she should tell us or not. I swallowed hard when Xandra's olive green eyes met mine.