Chapter 2: The plan

Song for this chapter x
——————————————-
Today was the day. The week seemed to have gone faster than usual and before I knew it I was packing my back pack getting ready for my first day at high school, or as I have come to call it my inevitable doom.  I expected so much because of what I had watched or read and my nerves were going through the roof. The fact that aunt Izzy was driving me which made me feel a little more calm because I didn't have to get on the dreaded bus.

I didn't know what to wear, apparently first impressions are really important or at least thats what I've seen. Do I wear a dress, a t-shirt or jeans, heels or flats? Do I wear my in a ponytail or have it flowing down my back. The truth is I did want to make a good impression, of course I did but I have never been in this sort of situation before. Whenever I met someone new it was through my parents and they were there every step of the way so I never felt as though my anxiety would consume me. They weren't here anymore and so I had to do this on my own, I know I have aunt Izzy but to some extent its not the same.

I decide to go with my black Gingham tie waist tea dress, aunt Izzy had bought me it last week and I hadnt worn it yet. I paired it with a pair of black ankle boots and decided to leave my hair down. I look at myself in the mirror, I take my reflection in. My mother would always say that it wasnt the looks that made the person but it was the heart, even though she would call me beautiful everyday, but that was just my mom.

"Kay, its time to go!" At the sound of my aunts voice I quickly grab my bag and head out my room. I meet my aunt at the front door and she hands me a fruit bar, the consequence of getting up later than your supposed to. She gives me a small but reassuring smile and I return it, as much as I hate this situation I know that she only has good intentions and anyway I know this will never work out and I'll be back being homeschooled in no time.

We both head out to the car, placing my bag in the back seat and getting into the passenger seat I start to wonder what it will really be like, in high school. My mind goes through all the possible scenarios that could happen. I could get lost and walk into my class with everyone staring whilst I look like a complete idiot, I could get bullied by the cliche mean girl, sit alone at lunch and even sit in the bathroom crying. All of those scenarios made me want to jump back into my bed and hide under the covers.

"You ready to go?" I jump at the sound of my aunts voice, I hadn't even realised she was in the car.

"Yeah, sure." I turn away and look out of the window. I had moments in my life when I felt like I was drowning, the sensation that I was trapped and couldn't breathe and there was nothing I could do about it. I had it when I was 5 and went to the dentist for the first time, again at my grandmas funeral and most recently when I found out about my parents.

"Kayla, my high school years, especially my senior year gave me some of my greatest memories and my best friends. I wouldn't do this unless I knew this would be good for you." My aunt tries to reassure me, but I'm not like her. She was popular at school and had years to make friends.

I give her a simple, "i know," before turning my attention back out the window.

We arrive outside the school quicker than I expected and my hands begin to shake. Students stood outside, some in front of the school and some beside their cars. Grabbing my bag and putting it on my back I make my way to my aunt. I can tell she is emotional by her glistening eyes but I pretend not to notice it. She gives me a hug and a kiss on the cheek before moving back to her car.

"I love you, Kayla. Ill see you after school. Try to see it from my point of view, okay?" I give her a small nod and she gets into her car, driving off and leaving me alone.

As I turn around to the rest of the car park, my eyes latch to a black Audi car where a group of students stood and without even asking I already knew they were popular. A total cliche and I laugh at the sight. Boys in leather jackets and girls in heels with makeup caked faces. I knew for a fact these were the students who made trouble and invoked fear. These were the students that would talk back, sleep around, host parties. The students who got in trouble daily and probably no doubt got suspended.

And then it hits me. I dont want to be here, this is hell to me, so what would force my aunt to remove me and get me homeschooled again?

Become the worst student.

It was perfect, I had watched so many tv shows and movies that I knew exactly what made up the worst student. All I had to do was to become those characters and I would be out of here in no time. Give major attitude, make snarky comments, talk back, show no respect and above all don't care about anything. The only problem was that I was nothing like those girls, the complete opposite but I had to do this, I had to get out of here. My parents never wanted me in public school and I didn't either.

When I felt nervous about anything my mother would always tell me, "getting over the fear or worry is the easy part, its the self confidence in which you tell yourself you can do whatever thats the hard part. You can do anything when you put all you got into it."

I would give this everything I had because this is what I wanted and nothing and nobody was going to get in my way.

"Excuse me, are you just going to stand there like a lost puppy all day because it's really distracting." A squeaky voice spoke and my head snapped up to the black Audi where a girl sat on the hood of the car. She looked at me smirking, her friends following suit. The attitude behind her voice told me that this was my first test. This was it, time to make my mark as the worst student this school had ever seen.

Walking up to the car I looked at her, turning on my character I gave her a smirk back. I stopped in front of her car, inside I was shaking but outside I was calm.

"And are you going to sit on this car all day looking easy." I gave a laugh after my comment as her face looked as though she was stabbing me over and over again mentally. Her friends around her gave little snickers also but I was too focused on her to actually look at them.

"What did you just say?" She sat forward to get a better look at me and so I stepped forward also. Pushing some of my hair away from my face I look at her, her face was a mixture of embarrassment and anger.

"Please, your legs couldn't be opened wider if you tried. You literally look like your birthing the car. I mean no doubt you have been around the block a lot so its probably wide enough, right?" Silence. No one laughed they just stared at me and then at the girl on the car, awaiting her reaction. My stomach was full of butterflies and I felt like I was going to puke but I pushed it to the back of my mind and regained my confidence.

"Listen, your obviously new here so let me make something clear, don't test me, don't talk to me and never cross me. You got it. Oh, and please in future never wear checkered again it doesn't do anything for your waist." My eyes widen at her low blow commetn about my figure. The laughs around her made me want to run and burst into tears but then I repeat my mothers words again in my head. No one will get in my way.

"Well at least my dress is in season. You clearly no nothing about fashion. Where did you buy that top, forever 61?" Florals were so last season but I'm guessing your grandma gives you her hand me downs and thats totally cool, less is more I guess. Oh, and this isn't check, this is gingham but good effort for trying. And as for the waist, I like how I look because I came from two people I considered to be perfect and I appreciate what they gave me." With that I turn and start walking towards the school building, I had a feeling within me. Something I had never felt before. I didn't know what to call it, I felt good, really good and like I could do anything.

Not only was this going to be easier than I thought, it was also going to be fun.

Suddenly, something collides into my back and I feel myself falling but before I hit the ground two arms wrap around my waist and pull me back up.

"I'm so sorry, I'm late." I give a little laugh and turn to look at the person who had literally dropped everything on the ground. Looking up my breath hitches in my throat as I am met by two deep ocean eyes.