Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Liam had turned into a Wolf. Liam had turned into a gray Wolf. Liam had turned into an abnormally large, gray Wolf. I kept repeating the thought in my mind, but I was still struggling to process what had happened.

He nudged me behind him, harshly. I had to hold the tree beside me to steady myself. It was strange to see Liam’s hazel eyes on the Wolf. I should’ve been scared—deep down inside, I probably was. But I was still too shocked. I was admiring how beautiful and grand the Wolf in front of me was.

I felt breathless. I’d been too focused on myself and Liam—I’d been ignoring the other people who were still there, staring at Liam, looking both frightened and amazed. I fully understood the feeling.

“Liam…” I whispered his name.

My words made the Wolf growl at me.

I took a step back from him. When I did, the Wolf shook his big head from side to side. I didn’t understand what that meant, or if it was even supposed to mean anything.

I ran. I could feel his eyes on me—the Wolf’s. When I briefly turned back I found that he wasn’t staring at me anymore. His attention was entirely on the men that were still looking shocked.

I ran away as fast as I could. I felt myself going deeper into the woods. I was panting and out of breath. The rain was falling down harder. I pulled on the strings of the hoodie, trying to cover myself the best that I could.

I was cold. My heart was beating erratically, and I was struggling to catch my breath. When I looked around, all I saw were tall trees everywhere. The sky was dark—between blue and gray. It wasn’t as late, but the rain had hidden the sun.

He found me—Liam. It must’ve been about half an hour later.

I was curled up against a tree when he found me—wondering why the heck I had followed him in the first place, why it had chosen to rain in that moment, why Kat’s sweater smelled like popcorn and how long it’d been since it had been washed, and if it was possible that I’d gone insane.

He was wearing a pair of navy blue sweats, his chest bare, exposing his athletic and muscular form. I wasn’t supposed to be checking him out, not after everything that had happened. But it took me a moment to focus after my eyes landed on him. He wasn’t even wearing shoes.

It was cold and raining. I was wondering how he wasn’t freezing to death.

“Savannah,” Liam called. He was looking down at me, standing about five feet away. He looked guarded.

“I’m lost,” I whispered, looking down at my hands that were resting on my knees.

“Why are you here?” he asked, not getting any closer to me.

“I got lost,” I said, cocking my left shoulder in a half-shrug.

“You followed me?”

I nodded. “I didn’t think I’d see you again. I wanted to see you again,” I admitted, not that I had much of a choice. What other reason would I have to be following him around? It was embarrassing. I was sure that because of the cold, my cheeks were already red. But admitting that I’d been stalking him made my body feel warm, and I could feel the blush deepening, this time because I was embarrassed.

“You wanted to see me,” he repeated.

When I looked up, I found him smiling down at me. I nodded, knowing his words hadn’t been a question.

Liam closed the distance between us, and kneeled on one knee in front of me. I couldn’t help but gaze at him. He was so close to me, and he was only wearing a pair of sweats. His skin really was perfect. Now I was able to admire more of him.