Everyman Needs a Companion

Louis closed the door of the cold home as he stepped out into the crisp morning. The cool air was jarring against his tired eyes. It didn't wake him up any, only showed him how tired he was. His sleep had been fitful, plagued with dreams about his upcoming performance and Legosi's guilty eyes.

      He ran down the driveway clutching his messenger bag. The white rocks crunches under his feet as he left the source of many bad memories. The further he got, the more the night before seemed like a dream. He didn't stop. He slowed down because of a stitch in his side but never stopped until he reached the bus stop.

     After two transfers he reached his campus. He fell atop his bed groaning, not wanting to go through with the day. He picked himself up and rinsed himself off in the shower. He only put on comfortable clothing, knowing he was going to be moving andsweating. With no motivation to make breakfast, he settled on a banana and less than fresh salad from the fridge.

     Starting the day with finance, his head rested on his palm while the professor explained something he wasn't listening to. His eyelids grew heavier the more he fought against them. He closed them for a moment and opened them back up. Class was over.

      Post nap, he felt wired. The anxiety about the performance and exhaustion had him rapidly bouncing his leg. Each tick on the clock above the professor moved slower and slower. Louis copied the notes down, not focusing on what they were for.

     He went back to his dorm to make lunch. He took slow bites, trying to force the food past the nervousness already filling his stomach.

      He could hear warm ups going on behind the theater doors before he even went through them. Students were walking around, trilling their lips and reciting their monologues. Some were on the ground doing breathing exercises. It was a level of professionalism he wished they had exhibited the entire rehearsal process. One actor was making videos about their final moments as a cast.

     Louis started his own warm up, rolling down his spine until his torso hung over his waist. His hips swayed, moving his limp upper half. He stretched until he felt loose and began warming up his voice. It felt a little hoarse from yelling so much in rehearsal the other day. At least, he hoped that was the cause and not his sickness coming back.

     "Guys! Lets get a group photo before we have to get into costumes!" A female leopard suggested.

     Everyone, besides Louis, happily obliged, showing a high level of camaraderie as if they didn't talk about each other behind their backs. Louis smiled for the camera, frowning when they decided to do a goofy one.

     The director came in and stood in front of the stage. "Alright everyone. Costumes are in the back, but before you all go and get dressed, I want to tell you that it's been a real pleasure working with you guys. I know you're going to kill it today!"

     They all clapped for the obvious lie.

     Some joked around in the dressing rooms, while others sang show tunes in multiple octaves. Some, like Louis, remained quiet. He watched himself in the mirror tie a skinny bow tie and put on his suit jacket. They were supposed to be set in the 1920's, but almost none of the costumes were from that era. Louis hoped the people in the costume department didn't plan on making a career out of it.

     The director poked his head in. "We're going to start letting people in. Curtain's in fifteen."

     "Thank you fifteen!" Everyone chimed.

     Louis let out a long exhale. His first college performance. He couldn't help that a couple of butterflies floated around his stomach. He got up and grabbed a large law book from 1983. He left the dressing rooms and went down a side hallway. It took him back to the entrance of the theater. He let out another exhale before pushing the double doors open.