Morning, morning

A familiar bleep herald the start of a new day. Ruth Whitle's eyes fluttered open and landed on the old alarm clock making the racket; 8:25, not on time as per usual.

"What in gods name happened to you," She muttered sleepily to the clock, yawning as she flung her legs out of bed,  "I'm going to be late!" 

Ruth quickly checked herself in the mirror. Apart from her over bleached hair falling out in small chunks everything looked to be in working order. From her dull brown eyes and freckles to her bony hips, she wasn't perfect, but then again, nobody was. She shoved on a t-shirt with some skinny jeans and wrestled her hair into a bun. Throwing on a questionable jumper from under her bed the girl ran downstairs.

"G'morning," Ruth called to the house as she springed off the last step, "Nice sleep? Mum, dad?"

"Yeah, it was good darling. Here have this toast" Her mother chimed back, passing a plate with a golden toasted piece of bread on it.

Ruth grabbed the food and bit into it, picking her bag up from the table, "Yikes! I'm gonna' be so late," She said, checking the time.

"Go then... That yellow van has been outside for half an hour waiting for you!" 

"Really?" She glanced out the blinds, A dusty yellow VW van sat in the parking space.

"Indeed..." Coughed her mother unaprovingly.

"I'll see you tonight... Fairwell!" Ruth sighed, shooting a beady look at Mrs Whitle while heading out the door

The front yard was typical for a victorian terrace, dying patches of grass in the front with a few flowers that hadn't been stolen by the neighbors and a postbox full to the brim with junk mail. Even so the morning sun shone bright and a sweet scent lingered in the air. On the road outside sat the van. It must've been at least 15 years old, nobody had thought about how old it was or if it was safe to travel in, but Ruths friend Ana insisted that it was too good of a deal to leave. 

"Hey!" She said, banging a fist against the door.

The door began to make alarming scraping noises as somebody from inside tried to open it. "Goddammit!" Exclaimed a muffled voice from inside the vehicle. Thirty seconds later  it was shoved open with great force. Ana's blonde head poked out and frowned at Ruth's dishevled outfit, followed by Nickolas, who smirked and held out his hand. 

Ruth took his hand and he pulled her into the van, she surveyed it, As usual America and Bobby sat in the front, Nickolas knelt in the back- where there were no seats- And Ana and her were in the middle. 

"Morning, glad you decided to show up." Muttered America rudely, turning to her as she started the engine. She was the complete opposite of Ruth with fiery red hair and rough, sun tanned skin.

"Sorry. My alarm clock is still being stupid." Hissed Ruth, glaring back at her.

The engine groaned then came to life and soon they were travelling at a steady pace of 30 Km per hour.

"Can this thing go any faster," Ana moaned, sliding a window open, "I seriously HAVE to be in geography on time or Mr Harrison is going to legitimately kill me!"

Nick leaned into the middle and puffed a cloud of smoke into her face, "You know the great lemon can't get any faster than 40, don't disrespect him!" He exclaimed, patting the side of the van fondly.

"Oi," Coughed Ana, leaning over and giving Nick a peck on the cheek. 

Ruths heart raced. For a long time now she had felt an inclination towards him, and now that her best friend had got him, it was taking all her will not to show any discomfort at the thought of them being a pair. 

So I hope you enjoy this chapter and it gives you an idea of the drama to come! It would be great if you could give me some feedback so I can improve! 

Thanks :)

-Maya