Seven

Jodi slid down in her seat as she watched her mother, trying not to stare to much.  Of course Kendra’s smart ass mouth had all but disappeared and Jodi didn’t even know if they were connected any longer.  The models begin strutting back onto the stage again, this time in everyday wear that was so trendy Jodi wondered if Kendra would even wear some of the combinations of color.

Kendra came strutting out in the middle of the set, walking to the front and standing a few minutes as she posed in a pair of navy blue slacks and a coral colored halter top that looked like her boobs were about to pop out of the sides of the blouse.  The models continued strutting past Kendra as a million photographs were taken of the fake Irish model.

Those models must hate Faith O’Hare, was all Jodi could think on the matter until she looked across the catwalk where Kendra and Jodi’s mothers were staring at Kendra and whispering back and forth as if trying to figure out if they were seeing the same thing.  Thank god for all the makeup, Jodi thought, if not there would be no question that the star of the show was Kendra.

“Kendra, why are you not answering?” Jodi whispered again, praying she would hear something, anything, from her best friend!  As Kendra passed Jodi, she gave her wide eyes, and Jodi realized Kendra was in a different pair of earrings.  This presented a problem and Jodi wanted to curse out Kendra for allowing their communication to be jeopardized.

Jodi’s personal cell phone buzzed in her pocket and she pulled the phone out a moment later to check the message.

It was from her mother.  Jodi’s stomach dropped as she read the message.

*this Irish model looks so much like Kendra!  Hope you are enjoying your weekend!*

Jodi looked across the catwalk again as the models came out modeling formal gowns of odd colors and shapes.  Both of their mothers were still seated and were searching each models face in search for Kendra again.  Jodi tried to remember anything about what agents were assigned to the case but was coming up blank.  She needed Kendra and her photographic memory now more than ever, if she had known it was going to be their mothers she would have never insisted they steal the case!

She had to think fast.  If their mothers found out they were here, they would be in more trouble than if they got kidnapped. 

She stood suddenly, just as Kendra turned away from the gaze of her mother, and started to move as quickly as possible out of her seat and away from the rest of the audience.  Her heart was pounding in her chest, stronger than ever before.  She could fight through parades of men with weapons, fly a jet under fire, but she could not face her mother. 

Why did she feel the need to disobey her mother and the school?  She could get into so much trouble.  She knew they were in danger, she could feel it.

“You’re not aloud back here,” a man in an all black uniform held his hand in from of Jodi’s chest, stopping her from getting backstage to her best friend.

“I’m Faith’s best friend, I need to talk to her,” she said in a convincing Irish accent.  The burly security guy shook his head and shrugged.

She could feel sweat gathering on her brow line.  She had to figure something out.  This event was to go on all day, after seeing her so many times Jodi knew their mothers would know what was going on.

She walked back towards the stage and watched as Kendra walked back out again, this time in barely any clothes and more makeup than she had ever seen on a human being.  Her eyes looked completely different under layers of eye shadow that spanned close to her temples.

Jodi watched as both of the girls’ mothers spoke quietly to one another.  Jodi’s mother shook her head while Kendra’s mother nodded.  Jodi began walking, a plan formulating as she moved around all of the people standing by the hours ‘devours table.

She made her way to a seat close behind the girl’s mothers and suddenly she ducked.  She landed on the floor and began crawling down the aisle.  Kendra was going to have a fit when she realized Jodi ruined the designer outfit they had put together, but this was a life or death situation.

“Jodi!” Kendra’s voice finally returned.  “Our mother’s are here!”

“Catch up,” Jodi hissed as she approached her mother’s chair.  She reached into her purse and pulled a shiny penny out and placed it right next to her mother’s black boot.  She then pulled what looked like a bobby pin out of the same pocket in her purse and by some miracle hooked it onto her own mother’s boot before crawling back to the end of the row.

“I don’t think they realized it was me,” Kendra said once again over the ear piece.

Jodi was making her way backstage as quickly as she could.

“Oh they noticed,” Jodi told her.  “They just think you look oddly like you.  Why us.”  Suddenly Jodi was stopped by a bodyguard.

“Sorry miss, talent and managers back here only,” he told her, placing his giant meaty hand in front of her chest.  Jodi’s hands went to her hips instantly with her usual attitude.  She did not like being told no, about anything, and right now she needed to get back to Kendra more than she needed to breathe.

“Im Faith O’Hare’s best friend,” She explained in a convincing Irish accent.  The security guard shook his head, which made Jodi even more annoyed.  She did not want to have to take this guy out.

“Sorry miss, you can see your friend after the show.”  He crossed his arms and stood so that he looked even bigger than he already was.  Jodi sighed and turned around, weighing all of her options when suddenly the lights went out.

There were a few screams throughout the crowd, a normal reaction to lights suddenly going off and then suddenly the piece in Jodi’s ear was screeching.

“Jodi, they’re grabbing—oh hell no!” Jodi could hear commotion and followed the body guard as he ran back to the models. “There are three,” Kendra told Jodi.  “What, JODI!” then suddenly the line went silent and the lights came back on.  Jodi was standing in the middle of the dressing room surrounded by models and guards in all black.  Her stomach threatened to come up as her mom and Kendra’s mom came running back as well. 

Jodi caught their mother’s eyes and their looks mirrored hers.

There were only two models missing.