Chapter 1, the reaping

Today is the big day, the day of the reaping. I'm sitting in the bathtub, washing my hair and body, trying to get the horrible smell of trees away. 

Today is the big day, the day of the reaping. I'm sitting in the bathtub, washing my hair and body, desperatly truing to get the horrible smell of trees away. My grandmother knocks on the door. "Vive? Are you done?" "Almost!" I answer. There is only me, my twin sister and my grandmother in this house. My parents died when I was 7. My grandmother has taken care of us ever since. "I've put out your dress. It's on your bed," she says. "Thank you! I'm done in a minute," I yell and get up from the bathtub. I comb my hair, dry my body and walk into my room. The babypink dress I inherited from my mom lies on my bed. My eyes are filled with tears. I can remember her wearing it. She looked so beautiful. I wipe away the tears and put on the dress. I look at myself in the tiny mirror that is raised up against the wall. I actually look nice. Not as nice her though. I hear someone knock on the door. My grandma comes in. She smiles when she sees me. I smile back. "What time is it?" I ask. "Uhm, eleven thirty. The reaping starts in half an hour, you should hurry up honey." I turn around and look at myself in the mirror. I smile again and brush my hair several times. It's a thing I do when I get nervous; I fumble with my hair. My grandmother walks over to me. She takes the brush and combs over my hair. It's chocolate brown and reaches to just below my shoulders. She reaches for the hairpins and braids my bangs. She mounts the braid behind my ear. I smile. "Thank you," I say and kiss her cheek. She smiles back at me. "Honey, it's going to be okay, I promise." I smile again and put my shoes on. I walk out of my room and see my sister sitting on a chair. She is looking out the window. "Mila?" I say. She turns her head. "We have to go now." She nods and looks out the window again. I walk over and sit down on the chair next to her. I grab her hand and repeat what my grandmother said to me. "It is going to be okay, Mila. We are gonna be fine." She nods again and stands up. She squeezes my hand. "We have to go now," I say. I walk along the road, holding  both my grandmother and my sisters hands. I'm nervous, but I'm sure everyone is. This is the first New Hunger Games. After the Rebellion, someone made a new rebellion and started a new set of hunger games. This time with a few new rules. There used to be 12 districts, but now it is only 10. District 1 and 2 are the Capitols favorites, 6 and 10 are the ones they like the least. I am not really sure why, it has something to do with the second rebellion. The original rules and "happenings" still count; such as all of the interviews, gamemakers and sponsors.

After about ten minutes of walking, I get a glimpse of the square. Many of the residents have already gathered in lines outside the city hall. I squeze my grandmothers hand and let go. I walk over to a long table with four peacekeepers sitting on chairs behind it. I give the man my arm and he takes a blood sample. I walk away and get in the line with the other 15-year olds. A bell rings and everyone is silent. A woman steps out on the stairs and smiles to the crowd. "Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" she says. They are still using the old phrase. The woman takes a deep breath. "My name is Cheval Quosol, and I will be District 7's escort," she says and smiles even bigger. I wonder if her cheeks hurt. She looks out over the audience. "Well then. Let's begin!" She walks towards the bowl with all of the girls' names. Or, she doesn't walk, she does a walk, jump, walk, jump. I hope she knows how ridiculous she looks. Her hair is dyed in a bright blue color. She has blue leather pants that reaches up to her waist and her blouse is covered in flowers with pointy shoulders. It is seriously horrible. She puts her hand in the bowl and picks up a white note. I hold my breath and close my eyes. She walks over to the microphone and opens the note. She pulls her breath. 

"Genevive Lace."