Chapter Seven

I could feel Ajax's cold, hard gaze on me as the instructor proceeded to inform us about what we needed to know.

" The Empirical Islands are not to be taken lightly. There will be blood and death and your emotions will be running sky high!" A small smile played Kyles lips, it was as if he was enjoying his torturous words. "If you do not listen consistently throughout the two sessions your tutored through, then you will not survive. You will, without doubt, be the first to die."

I struggled to listen as I concentrated on not concentrating on Ajax, trying to erase his gaze from the right side of my face, but I managed to catch Kyles final few words about paying attention, and made a vow to myself to not let anything or anyone get in my way.

"You will be paired up with one other person and you will have the opportunity to support your partner, creating an alliance which could ultimately make you stronger as a pair,  but also singularly." Kyle continued.

I peeked a look over to Jasmine, praying to God that she ended up as my partner. I didnt trust or even like anyone else within the room, but she was looking at Ajax smiling, obviously wanting to partner him. I felt slightly disappointed.

"When you have been  partnered up you will be trained for an hour in each section of the hall" he said, pointing to different parts of the hall where activities were set up. "Partners are as follows... Gill, your with Poppy, Raine your with Key, Maidie you will be with Ajax..." he continued to list names, but I couldnt hear anything. It was like I was underwater.

I looked over at Jasmine who had complete and utter devastation written all over her face. Ajax didnt look to please either but I tried not to take it personal. He walked over to me and stood in right in front of my face, he was at least 6 ft tall. I gulp quietly.  Get me out of here I thought.

I remembered the vow to myself and quickly sidestepped him so I could see Kyle.

"You'll survive with me as your partner, that's promise." He whispered as he took his place to the side off me.

"I didn't know you cared so much!" I spat back sarcastically, not drawing my eyes away from our instructor.

"Oh, you misunderstood,  I don't give a damn about you.  I can look after myself, but soon you'll act like me, want to be able to survive like me, basically want to be what I am in order to survive." He looked at me then, I felt a shiver run up my spine. "A murderer."