Chapter 3: Masquerade

I entered the foyer of the palace filled with guest, Identities mysteriously hidden by elaborated masks. I could easily classify them through status either from high parts of society or lower part of the society. I easily made my way to the ball room where they usually held the daily ball hosted by the royal family. The first person I noticed was the proud sire Ethan, in spite of his black mask. He was surrounded by ladies though he didn't show any interest to them. What a boring bastard. I give of a soft sigh before making my way to him. The ladies give up their hope and left him for another eligible bachelor who have a high status but less attractive than him.

"Pleasant evening we're having?" I said in my lowest tone.

"Yes." He said in his gentle voice.

"According to some rumors they said you like the lady Alexandra? I'm just thinking how they said it was arranged but some said you liked her before the actual meeting." I said trying to make a conversation. Actually making some fake rumors through my mind wishing he won't notice.

"Do you want to know?" He said in a small smile it's my first time seeing him smile like this. Well I only saw him for the first time the other day.

"Back then when we were five, I already met Lady Alexandra. She was very kind and peculiar. My mother brought me with her as she attends an embroidery session with the Princess Flusia. Her three children were playing hide and seek in the garden. When Alexandra saw me she drags me to one of the rose bushes." I peered to him through my mask he seems absorbed by the memory. How come I can't remember that?

"She was the most wonderful sight. That dark black hair that complements her pale complexion, especially those cheerful dark brown eyes it made me fall of to my knees instantly, though I was too young I was completely captivated by her beauty even now." He stops for a second.

My heart kept skipping a beat. What the hell is happening to me? Could it be I'm starting to be captivated by his words?

"The next day we visit the palace I was introduced to her. We mostly play on the garden but only when her siblings were absent those rare times I treasure the most. "

My head hurt by the memories of those bright golden eyes I knew it, somehow he was so familiar to me but not that familiar.

"But then we were informed that we have to move to Lilyet when Father was renowned as the Duke of Lilyet. I remember the first time I was kissed by her on the cheek as I bid farewell. She said that she'll write to me though I guess I was forgotten."

Image of me crying as a carriage left flashes through my mind. And the kiss and those happy days, indeed he is telling the truth my brother cheered me up for the whole two weeks, sleeping beside me so I wouldn't cry. I missed him. That golden-eyed child, how could I forget? I tried to stop myself from shedding a tear. We were surprised by a group of soldiers that surrounded the whole room.

God! How could I let myself be distracted by him?

I found my brother in a blink of an eye wearing a long sleeves shirt and brown. He was searching the room impassively. Next to her was the worried Eevon she was also searching the room. They're both not wearing the masks required for the ball. My dearest grandma the majesty Queen sat on her throne in-rage in spite the fact that she look pretty in her finest white gown that extend to the floor and golden mask decorated with diamond and engrave with silver.

"Your majesty, the young princess Alexandra is missing." A soldier announce to the guest, Ethan step all back harshly.

Guests were startled by the news. Who knows I could do this kind of effect to the people.

"Did she run away?" Some asked horribly.

"Hair was discovered in the bathroom together with a pair of shears." He continued. I rolled my eyes at myself. Me and my carelessness, how could you forget to hide the evidence?

The Queen look back at me displeased then I felt a strong grip on my shoulders. "Found you." The familiar gentle voice turned hoarse, I was discovered very fast. And out of all the people by Francis. He dragged me to the foyer together with Eevon they both look to me impassively. I remove my plain brown mask. I'm dead.

After I was scolded for hours by my siblings I was brought to the elders.

"What can you say to yourself?" Queen Selestine asked her eyes were burning with rage.

"Reflecting..." I said pausing.

"For what?" Ugh... Why is she asking the obvious question?

"For leaving some evidences." I look at my mother and satisfied that I was rewarded by her disapproving look.

"I CANNOT TOLERATE YOUR RUDE ATTITUDE YOUNG LADY; UNTIL YOU CHANGE I WILL STRIP YOU OF YOUR STATUS AND EXILE YOU FROM FREZIA!" She said in a loud scream. I was surprised by her decision so are the others including my mom. But I gather myself stood and bow.

I did regret my decision cause now I felt disappointed that the person I was trying to run away from was probably the person I love from years ago but I just let him slip away from my grasp including my power and status, including her. Including Lady Alexandra Celine Marlowe de Royale.
-end-