Sir!

"Sir!" I shouted. It was too late. Inspector Brackenreid had slipped out of consciousness. I looked up at Julia. She was crying.  George and Jackson had ran off to telephone the Toronto General Hospital. Emily's eyes were filled with concern and sorrow.

Hours later we were all in the waiting room at the Toronto General Hospital. There was no news on the inspector's condition. I held Julia in my arms who was now sobbing uncontrollably. I looked over towards George, who like myself held our sobbing loves in our arms while we sat solemnly with unshed tears in our eyes.

After waiting in the waiting room for four hours,  Doctor Roberts walked out with a solemn look on his face. "I'm-sorry there was nothing we could do to save him." "He was struck in the chest too many times, the blows severed several of his major arteries. He succumbed to his wounds shortly after we attempted to repair the damaged arteries."

That was it. Like I had been hit by a gigantic wave. My knees buckled and I fell to the ground in a series of body wracking sobs. I felt Julia kneel down and try to comfort me but it was no use. I am supposed to be the strong, sophisticated, put together one of us. But Thomas Brackenreid was my best friend. He was almost like a father to me. I could not handle all this at once.

The last thing I remember is sobbing on the hospital floor to waking up in a hospital bed.

"Hello William" I heard a familiar voice say.

"Julia?" I managed to croak out.

"I'm here,  William. It's alright." whispered Julia.

"Is he really?-" I whispered.

"Yes, William. I am so sorry." Julia whispered back.