Dawn

Dawn

With the suit finally off, Carl and Philip felt more distant to me. Thank God.

Even so, because it was sitting beside me, I could still see them. Clearly. In my head. Don't ever mix magic with technology. There is witchcraft in science and a science to witchcraft. Both will conspire against you eventually. I realized that now. I had to work fast.

It was just after dawn. The sky was warming up. I'd sneaked out of the house while all the people in my house still slept. Even the housemaid who always woke up early was not up yet. I hid behind the hedge of colorful pink and yellow trees in the front. I needed to be around vibrant natural life, I needed to smell its scent. The tree's trunk's shape reminded me of what my real body would look like if the suit hadn't burned its flesh off.

I opened my laptop and set it in the dirt. I put my suit beside it. It was a grey, three-piece suit, that could give you the confidence of a lifetime. Looking through my shirt, I could see a tiny hint of a bone surrounded by burned flesh. For a moment, as I looked at my suit, it flickered its electric blue. I could hear it whispering to me. It wanted me to put it back on. I flinched as I put my hand on my shirt above the burned body. Then I quickly tore my eyes from the suit and plugged in the flash drive. As I waited, I brought out a small sack and reached in. I sprinkled amber dust and powdered fairy wings around the machine for protection. I wasn't taking chances.

I sat down, placed my fingers on the keyboard, shut my eyes and prayed to the God I didn't believe in. After all that had happened, who would believe in God? Philip had been in New York when the riots happened. I knew it was him and his suit. A technology I had created. Neurotransmitters, mobile phones, incantation, and hypnosis- even I knew my creation was genius. But all it sparked in the North was death and mayhem.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry," I whispered. "I meant well." I opened my eyes and looked at my screen. The screen was blank except for a single folder. I highlighted the folder and pressed "delete".

I paused, my hands shaking and my heart pounding in my chest.

"If this doesn't work, they will kill me," I whispered. Then I considered what they'd do if I didn't finish. I continued typing. I was creating a computer virus. I would send it out in a few hours. When they'd both be busy. Then all hell would break loose...for me, just me. Sometimes, things have to get worse before they get better.

My name is Rhyan and if I didn't get this right, the corruption already alive in this country would be nothing compared to what was to come. And it would all be my fault.