Chapter Thirteen

A short while after the feast, Elrond, Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin, Balin and Victoria leave the dinning room. 

And Elrond leads them somewhere else where, "Our business is no concern of elves." says Thorin. "For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map." Gandalf tells him. "It is the legacy of my people; it is mine to protect, as are its secrets." Thorin tells them. "Save me from the stubbornness of Dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle­ Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond." Gandalf tells Thorin. 

Then Thorin reaches into his pocket and takes out the map, and starts to hand it to Elrond. Balin ttys to stop him but Thorin pushes him away and hands the map to the Elf Lord. Elrond takes it, opens it and, "Erebor. What is your interest in this map?" he asks looking at Thorin. 

Thorin was about to answer but, "It's mainly academic. As you know this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden texts." says Gandalf. 

Elrond walks a little ways away and looks up at the sky. "You still read Ancient Dwarfish, do you not?" Gandalf asks. Elrond adds something in Elvish. "Moon runes. Of course. An easy thing to miss." said Gandalf, looking at Bilbo. 

"Well in this case it is true. Moon runes can only be read by the moon of the same shape and season on the day on which they were written." said Elrond facing them. "Can you read them?" Thorin asks him. 

Elrond leads the way out to a cliff where Elrond places the map on a crystal surface, "These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly 200 years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you Thorin Okinshild. The same moon shines upon us tonight." said Elrond. 

All six of them look up at the moon then back down at the map, which now has glowing blue runes. "Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." Elrond reads. 

Moments later the blue runes disappear. "Durin's Day?" asks Bilbo. "It is the start of the Dwarves new year, when the last moon of Autumn and the first sun of Winter appear in the sky together." said Victoria, Gandalf nods and for a while there is silence. 

"This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us." said Thorin breaking the silence. "We still have time." says Balin. "Time? For what?" asks Bilbo. "To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened." says Balin. "So this is your purpose, to enter the Mountain." says Elrond. 

"What of it?" Thorin asks. "There are some who would not deem it wise." says Elrond. Thorin takes back the map gruffly. "Who do you mean?" Gandalf asks. "You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle ­Earth." says Elrond.

And Elrond and Gandalf leave the room. And Victoria, Thorin, Balin, and Bilbo go find the other Dwarves. Victoria, Thorin, Balin, and Bilbo find that the other Dwarves are having a late­ night party in their quarters. They roast sausages over a fire made by burning the Elvish furniture. 

Bofur, seeing a heavy Bombur sitting on a bench and eating a large bowl of food, looks at his sausage thoughtfully. "Bombur!" yells Bofor as Bombur looks up, Bofur throws him the sausage. 

Bombur catches it, but the weight of the sausage is just too much for the bench, and the bench breaks; Bombur, shrieking, falls to the floor, along with all his food. 

The Dwarves laugh uproariously.