Story 1: OLD ITALIAN

Before you start reading, I have a question: Do you know anything about granddaddy long-legs? No... well just wondering.

So, what you're about to discover is I drive a courtesy shuttle for a car dealership. Plus I consider myself a good listener, get people talking and relating very personal information. Take, for example, the old Italian Mr. Coscarella. His son, a dentist, went with a girl for five years, then married her. Six months later she filed for divorce. He's still perplexed by the situation.

I maneuver the van into traffic, notice how the autumn afternoon light has changed. Ahead, the sun is low, causes everything to shine orange and bright. But Mr. Coscarella has things on his mind.

"Young people today...in old days, men tell women what to do and they do it. Today, if trouble, they go," he says. He's the last rider of the day, his vehicle an overnighter waiting for parts;  is a small man, dressed like an Italian peasant;  wears grey pants and a black shirt.

"I know. There's very little sense of commitment these days," I comment and mean it. However, I do wonder if he should be telling me this things. Isn't it funny how people will tell a stranger things they'd never tell their best friend.

"Men are men. Women are women. I don't know. That's way it is!" he continues.

"Deal with it, right," I remark. This part is sincere. I do believe in dealing with reality straight on.

"Yeah... I no understand."

Mr. Coscarella, a first-generation Italian experiencing the generation gap that often occurs in immigrant families, wants to keep things simple and unchanged. But in today's world change is the only certainty. Don't think Mr. Coscarella has been to many Gay Pride parades. Can you imagine?

Well, that was short and sweet. But it gives you some idea of what to expect. Now, in case the granddaddy long-legs doesn't tickle the baby with his long cow-pointing legs and make her laugh, so she gets the hiccoughs, I'll tell you about old Leo Sauvé and the Grizzlies.

But before you continue, if you liked this vignette, please hit the star to vote and share the link with your friends, even your first generation  relatives. Thanks.