Chapter 2

By the time last period rolled around, Chris' feet were dragging. He had half the mind to just skip but he knew if he wanted any hope of passing, he at least needed to show up.

The boy took his usual seat near the back of the classroom and grumbled. None of his friends were in this period. He logically knew that could always talk with Emi, who was admittedly nicer than most of the popular girls in the school: However, they had very little in common and silently agreed that if need be they would socialize but if not they stayed out of each other's hair.

The late bell rang and the teacher made pointed eye contact for Chris to remove his earbuds. Chris rolled his eyes subtly but complied. The guitar solo he had been halfheartedly engrossed in ceased.

It was four excruciating minutes into the lesson when his eyes caught something in the window into the ha. The teacher was standing by the door talking with someone outside of the classroom, something Chris almost brushed over until he caught the eye of who she was talking to. Dark hair and a pair of copper irises gleamed back at him. The boy held Chris's gaze for a moment and gave a small smile before returning his attention to the teacher who then directed him to an empty seat next to Emi.

Chris didn't think much of the brief encounter but he found himself listening as their teacher introduced him.

"Class, we have a new student joining us today," she started warmly. "His name is Xavier, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's his first day here at the school." She looked towards the new student for confirmation and he nodded pleasantly,

"Yes mam, it is." The teacher smiled.

"Well the best of luck to you Xavier, and I hope you enjoy school here."

And with that the teacher returned to lesson and Chris returned to absentmindedly drawing all over his notebook.