One

For the one and only Lucie, for just being you!

___________________________

You were in college working part-time waitin' tables

Left a small town, never looked back

I was a flight risk with a fear of fallin'

Wondering why we bother with love if it never lasts

I hear a shot ring out and then I see her falling to the ground. Rushing over to her side I hear screaming and sirens but my vision is blurred with tears and I can't make out the chaos that is unfolding around me. The only thing I can focus on is her. As I crouch down I can feel the warmth of blood which covers the ground; I look up and the whole place is a blur of red and blue. I hastily strip off my jacket and press it to her stomach wound. Her blood is flowing and I'm screaming for a medical team to come and help her. All of a sudden she's on a stretcher and being wheeled away from me. "Wait, I want to go with her." I can barely recognize my own voice amongst the chaos.

"Sorry ma'am, she's in a critical condition. I'm afraid I can't permit that." So I'm left standing there, helpless, as they close the doors and she disappears from my sight.

I say "Can you believe it?

As we're lying on the couch?"

The moment I can see it

Yes, yes, I can see it now

I pull up at the hospital and flash my badge at the desk. "I'm here to see Detective Ja- JANE!" They're wheeling her past me frantically trying to get her into a lift. I can hear them screaming for IV drips and more oxygen because her blood pressure is dropping.

"I need you to get ready to operate. Her BP is dropping, get me a surgeon now!" I watch the surgeons tying up their gowns and snapping on their gloves. They're using a bunch of medical jargon which ordinarily I would understand but my sole focus is on Jane. Then I hear the three words that would send my world crumbling to pieces. "We're losing her."

Do you remember, we were sitting there by the water?

You put your arm around me for the first time

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter

You are the best thing that's ever been mine

It has been exactly 5 hours, 25 minutes and 17 seconds since I set foot in the hospital and I had still received no word about Jane's condition. Angela, Frankie, Tommy, TJ and Lydia had all come in about an hour after I arrived. All of them are worried about her. Angela is pacing up and down and Tommy is trying to distract everyone. Finally the doctor emerges; he's covered in blood and a lot of it. Frankie gets up from his chair and Angela rushes towards him. I don't move because Jane and I haven't told anyone about us being together yet - not because we don't think they'll be happy for us, just because we might not work out as a couple and we don't want our families to have to deal with the consequences of that - so as far as anyone is concerned I'm here as Jane's best friend and nothing more.

Flash forward and we're taking on the world together,

And there's a drawer of my things at your place

You learn my secrets and you figure out why I'm guarded,

You say we'll never make my parents' mistakes

I think back to all my failed relationships, all of Jane's failed relationships; also to Jane's parents and then my own. My birth parents who weren't even married and my adoptive parents who argue constantly. Then I let my mind wander to Jane. How her smile lights up any room. How she always knows when I'm upset, and how to cheer me up. The protective way she cuddles me which always makes me feel safe. Her constant sarcastic comments - annoying as they can be- and the fact she knows how to make me laugh. The way her eyes glisten, and the way they looked just before they closed and she was rolled away from me. I'm brought back to reality by the sound of Tommy's voice calling my name. "Maura do you want to speak to the doctor?"