Chapter 4- What Dreams are Made of

You know, I consider myself to have a pretty set moral compass. If it hurts someone else, don't do it. But every once in a while I get this insurmountable urge to knock out some teeth. My mom said its the Sehkmet aspect of my lineage making a show. She also said when officially chose the path of Bastet it would go away. I never knew how to tell her I was considering another path. Now I fear Ill never get the chance.

These were the musings that floated through my head as I stared up at the dark exposed beams on the ceiling. The plush bed was nice, and the linen sheets were to die for. However as I lay there listening to the cicadas outside I couldn't relax. Something was wrong.

After dinner I trotted after Hurricane, and Moira giggling and joking on. It was as if I had know the two of them for years. Friendship with them was easy and warm, like coming home and sitting beside the fireplace, it was familiar.

When we arrived back at the dorm, passing through the blue oak door, I recalled our other housemate.

"Hey Moira, where's the other girl who dorms with us?" I asked. Moira made eye contact with Cane for a split second. I saw the crinkles around Canes eyes tighten, as if she was amused. Moira met my eyes then.

"Well, she was supposed to be at dinner tonight, but she wanders off quite a bit. You'll likely meet her before you have to meet with The Director. Probably." I raised an eyebrow at her answer.

"Where might she have gone exactly, is there anything else I need to know about this girl" I mused, only half kidding. Then Moira's words really hit me. "Wait. What do you mean meet with the Director!" Cane laughed at my tone.

"Not to worry poppet, all the new students have to. After ya'll get introduced The Director takes you around to meet the administrators, and shows you around the main campus. Then you get sent to the main office to get your class scheduled worked out. It's not a big deal really." Cane smiled at me encouragingly. I was still a little wary, but there was no escaping it. I plopped down on the couch as Moira twisted the switch on the table lamp.

"Alright, I guess I have no choice" I huffed into the couch pillow.

"Oh hush Drama Queen. I'll be upstairs to wake you up for the meeting at six. It takes about two hours, and next thing you know, you're back at the dorms snoozin while the rest of us slave away in class." I could hear the eye roll in Moira's words. I lifted my face out of the couch to stick out my tongue at her. Cane took up residence on the arm chair across from me and turned on a TV show called Derry Girls. It was some kind of Netflix original.

"Not this again Cane!" Moira exclaimed as she sat on my legs, I was only taking up half of the couch, so I promptly kicked her over. She glared at me playfully pouting, before turning back to Cane. Cane, at this point had a wicked gleam in her eyes.

"Why ever not Moira?" she asked though her expression said she already knew the answer.

"Cane, you know I hate these comedy shows. Why can't we watch CSI or Criminal Minds? Moira said. Cane just rolled her eyes.

"I am sick of watching shows about murderers! I need a good laugh. okay? Besides, mondays, Thursdays, and every 3rd Saturday are my nights with the remote. Do you not know what day it is Moira?" Cane said the last part haughtily like a king from his throne. Moira stuck up her middle finger at Cane. I quickly spoke up before Cane retaliated

"So guys! What is the last girl like? whats her name? Is she nice?" I said. Cane turned to Moira only to see her full attention was turned to the TV. She rolled her eyes.

"Doesn't like comedy my ass, anyway," she turned back towards me. " The third girl who lives with us is Madhuri Anand, she's really sweet, and she loves plants." at this Cane gestured to the many scattered houseplants around us. That also explained the little green house I saw on the rooftop patio. "We love her, really we do. We joke about her nightly escapades, but at the end of the day she just wants to live freely, and we respect her choices. I promise you will love her" Ahh okay, so Madhuri was out getting some action. That clears things up.