Classified Part 26 Gregor's Loss

Thalia rang the doorbell before she could second guess herself. She held her package in both of her hands, suddenly regretting baking the Pirog. What if Alex rejected her? Or what if he was horrified to see her? What if he didn't even let her in and she was just that weird girl who brought him a homemade pie?

      Before she could run back to her car, the door opened, and the biggest man she'd ever seen in her life stood in the doorway. At least I know I'm in the right place.
      "Hi." The giant, barrel-chested man said, looking down at her.

      Thalia had to resist the urge to smile. The resemblance was uncanny. "Um, hi, I was looking for Alex?"
      The giant looked confused, but he opened the door wider to let her in. "He's back here." He gestured down a cozy hallway. 

       Thalia came in and set her package down in order to take her shoes off. I should have worn heels. She thought, feeling tiny compared to the giant man next to her. Better yet, I shouldn't have come at all. I didn't think about the possibility that Alex wouldn't be alone. How horrible if he rejects me in front of one of his brothers. But she took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, reminding herself that she was brave.

      She followed the man through the house. "How is Alex?" She asked, trying to make conversation as the huge man led her down the hall.
      "Alex has been... sick." The man shrugged.

      "I'm sorry to hear that." Thalia said awkwardly, not sure what else to say. She wondered if that was how Alex explained his injuries to people who didn't know he was a spy.

      When they reached the room at the end of the hall, Thalia saw Alex, and she felt her heart beat faster. He's okay! She thought, smiling to see him sitting on a couch, playing a first-person shooter video game with another man.

      "You're dead!" The man sitting next to him yelled, throwing his controller down in triumph. "That's how the master does it!"
      "Come on!" Alex said to the screen. "That would not work in real life, Dan."

      "This is real life, little brother." Dan laughed. He noticed Thalia first, his face confused, and Alex turned to see who he was looking at.

      "Thalia!" He shouted. He jumped up, grabbing her in a bear hug that must have hurt him. "I can't believe you're here!" He set her down, but kept his hands on her shoulders. Thalia was grateful that he seemed happy to see her and that he was in one piece.

      The brothers were staring in amusement. "This is Thalia?" Dan asked from the couch, clearly shocked and amused.
      "What are you doing here?" Alex asked, ignoring his brothers.

      "I—I wanted to make sure you were okay." Thalia explained, feeling embarrassed.
      "Yeah, but how did you find me?" Alex asked, confused. "I tried getting your number from the agency but they wouldn't give it to me."

      Thalia shrugged, smiling. "I'm a secret agent." She reminded him, aiming for mysterious nonchalance. "I have my ways. How are you out of bed?"
      Alex laughed. "I told you, you can't knock me down for long."
      Dan waved his hand dismissively. "Pfft. I've knocked him down before. Easy enough."

      "You've never been shot." Alex reminded him.
      "Twice." Thalia offered helpfully.
      "These are my brothers, by the way." Alex said, gesturing to them. "Andy and Dan."

      Dan stood up, watching Thalia with a frown on his face. He was just as tall as Alex, with the same athletic build. "From the way Alex talked about you, I thought you would be some huge bruiser of a woman." He said, clearly perplexed. "I thought you'd be bigger, but you're so small."