Chapter Four

Robert walked down towards the lowest level of the house. He was shaking, his nerves were getting the best of him. He had decided this was it. The time was finally here. It was the perfect opportunity to do what Albert had been asking of him. Robert seen no reason why he should wait any longer. After all, this was what Albert had been pouring his heart and soul into all these years. Why should he wait?

Why should I be all alone in this? This wasn't my doings but I'm the one dealing with the consequences. It's wrong! I should have left years ago! Robert thought to himself as he walked. It was starting to get cooler as Robert continued down the steps towards the long dark hallway. He paused for a moment at the bottom and stuck his hand in his pocket. He rumbled some keys around and then pulled a small piece of paper out. It had a series of numbers jotted down. Robert strained to make them out in the darkness.

Robert pulled his reading glasses out of his shirt pocket and slipped them on. He flipped a switch and lights began to appear, one by one. Robert studied the numbers written.

10-15-19-66

12-3-9-25

He walked towards the steel door at the end of the hall. He touched the keypad, and red lights appeared. Robert, paused. He stepped back with uncertainty. Do it now. If you don't, you never will. Robert thought to himself. He raised his finger, and punched the numbers in. The keypad turned green and the door unlocked with several loud clicks.

Robert flipped the switch. Bright lights appeared all around him. It was impossibly quiet except for the small buzzing noise coming from above. His eyes examined the room. It was large and cold. It had starch white walls with no windows. There were two metal tables side by side in the center, one table had tools lined in a perfected manner. The other, empty. Lage black metal cabinets ran along the south wall, breaking with a steel door in between. Robert patted his pockets before heading towards them. He pulled out a small round object and stuck it to the door. With a discharge of pressure, it released.

I heard the security system being disarmed. I knew it was Aunt Mel. I jumped out of bed and rushed to the bathroom mirror.

"Oh My God, my face!" I ran out of the bathroom and stumbled over my bedspread thrown on the floor. I fell to my knees with a rather large thud. "Ouch!"

I stood back up, now limping, I ran towards Liza's room.

"Liza!" I yelled while still trying to whisper. I started to shake her violently.

"Get up!" Mel's home and... and look at my face!" I straddled Liza and pointed my bruised eye.

"Oh no!" Liza sat up so quick she threw me to the floor.

"Ouch, again."

Liza looked at me lying on the floor.

"Get up! We've got to fix your face!" I moaned for a second before getting to my feet. I followed Liza to the vanity. She started to smear her makeup under my eye.

"Mom's never going to go for this, your face is still swollen." She dabbed her brush into some more concealer.

"Owe, Liza! Not so rough please."

"Sorry but mom will...

Liza's door began to open with a soft squeak.

"I knew I heard whispering in here. What are you girls... Oh, Carter! What happened to your face?"

Mel stood at the door with a look of concern. She moved towards me and grabbed my chin.

"Well...I...well... I couldn't spit it out. I was searching for words and nothing was coming. Finally, Liza jumped in.