five

The next couple of hours went by quite plainly. After not too long I decided to join Joel in his conversation with some of the people I didn't know, which turned out to be quite enjoyable. For some reason, I was feeling as if I was waiting for something, and whether that mysterious something was another encounter with Harry, that seemed to have vanished from the room, or for Indigo to be done so that we could go back home together, I didn't know.

"Have you seen Callie? It's already past midnight and she's nowhere to be seen" Indigo all of sudden asked me, nearing me again with a glass of red wine in her grasp, that I was sure had been stolen by Joel's parents' private collection. I could only hope that it wasn't an extremely expensive one, as they wouldn't have been happy if she'd drank one of their fanciest special occasion wines.

I gave a little look around even though I already knew that she wasn't in the room, since she would've surely joined us if she was. "I don't think she's here, Indie" I said then, quietly.

She gave me a little nervous nod, downing the glass in her hand quickly. "Should we get worried? She said she would've come tonight, didn't she?"

"She did, but maybe, I don't know" I replied. I knew where she was going with that, and I knew there was no way for her to go there. Callie surely wasn't in danger, she couldn't possibly be with parents as strict as hers. We just had to discover what had exactly happened. "You know what, I'll call her" I told her quickly, taking the phone out of the pocket of my jeans and quickly stepping out on the balcony again, that by then was empty.

I searched for her number in my contacts and pressed call, pursing my lips worriedly as I waited for her to pick up, feeling my nervousness rise with every single ring of the phone, until finally it went to voicemail. I called her another couple of times, still with the same result, and then sighed, going back inside, where Indigo was waiting for me, the worry on her face now matching mine.

"So?" She asked quickly, wanting to know if I'd discovered something.

I shook my head. "She didn't pick up" I told her quietly, and she took me by the arm, pulling me to the side of the room, where we could talk a bit more freely without having to worry about anyone eavesdropping on our conversation or crashing against us after having drank more of the stolen wine.

"I don't like this, Ray" she said lowly, giving a concerned look around as she scanned the room, in search of someone. "Where's Joel? We should let him know about this."

"No" I said quickly. I didn't want Joel to have to worry about that too, especially considering that he had guests in his home - guests that were barely legal and currently plundering his parents' expensive wine collection. "There's no need to, I'll go check on her" I suggested. It wasn't like I had anything better to do, after all. I had no intention of drinking, especially because I had no idea of crashing there, and both Indigo and Joel seemed to be quite busy talking to other people.

She frowned at my words. "Alone?"

I shrugged, making her understand that, even though it seemed a bit dangerous, there wasn't an effective threat. "She lives close, and you know this is probably one of the safest streets in the city, there's no need to worry. I'll call you when I get there, alright?"

"Okay, but please be careful" she told me, worry in her eyes, and I nodded before walking down the stairs.

I took my coat and exited the house, carefully closing the door behind me before starting to walk down the road.

The walk to Callie's house didn't take long as she lived in the nearing street, and it went by as smoothly as I'd anticipated - nobody being around on the streets at the late hour of the night. As soon as I was in front of it I sent a quick text to Indigo, furrowing my eyebrows when I looked up and I realised that the driveway seemed to be empty - no car on it.