Prologue

Hello there! I’m new here, so I’m not entirely sure how authors on here usually behave in regards to small author's notes in the beginnings of chapters and other small matters such as that, but I'm leaving one anyway. Also, I'm currently publishing this on FanFiction.net as well, and my account on there is Serena M00N. If you're interested in reading furthur, you might want to check that out, because I have significantly more of this story published there than I do here, at least for now.

And I do not own Hetalia. Obviously. But I suppose that I ought to mention it anyway.

Prologue

There are universes beyond our own. However, even though we share the same space as they do, we can never touch.

Some among us posses a clarity needed to peer into these other worlds, to look in and catch a snapshot of what these places are like, of the stories that are present there. Some can see into these worlds clearly, and, searching for and finding those of us in our own universe who are the parallels of those present in the story they wish to share, they create a movie, or a show, to share the experience of viewing another world. If they can’t do this through live action, or if they simply don’t want to, they may do this through artwork, graphic novels, or animation.

Some see literally a single picture, and a realm of possibility in the story behind it. These are more traditional artists. Others can perceive the very thoughts of those beyond our realm. These are those involved in the makings of films, shows, and graphic novels. In anime, manga, comics, and cartoons.

Then there are those who do not see, but feel. Thier realm is words, not pictures. They invented words, to try and describe the other worlds. They are the writers. The poets, and the scriptwriters. The authors of novels.

Some, who find words fail them in describing what they sense, turn instead to music, in an attempt to share these feelings more clearly. They are musicians. Composers, singers, and bands.

Each of these tasks is a hard one. Some are capable of performing more than one, but many must search for another who can see into the world or worlds they perceive, to help carry the load.

But they are all driven to share what they know. To share the worlds they can see or feel so clearly, even if they do not realize what it is. Once they do, they open a window for others to look into these worlds. And for some, who have that same clarity, to look beyond the world presented, into other, branching worlds.

That clarity is imagination.

This story, as all stories do, takes place in one of these worlds.

First, you must look to a window. In this instance, I speak of Hetalia.

Look through the window.

You see countries personified, and their lives as such.

Find a branch of alternate universes, where these characters are no longer countries, but human.

Scroll through. Find the universes such as these which contain supernatural or spiritual elements.

Continue on through to the section labeled ‘Angels, Demons, Ghosts, and other Post-Life Creatures’.

There are still too many to simply look through them. Lets narrow the category further. To universes where encounters with such creatures are an accepted and natural piece of everyday life.

This will have to do. Look for a universe that reminds you of the expression, “devil on your shoulder.”

Have you found it yet?

Didn’t think so. There are endless possibilities.

I’ll try to help you a bit more, then.

You’re looking for a universe where every single person is born with an “Angel” or “Demon” “on their shoulder.” Meaning that each person is assigned two Spirits, one aligned with “Hell,” the other with “Heaven,” which are held responsible for the moral alignment of that person. And every person, after their death, is required to do one term of service as one of these said “Angels” or “Demons,” depending on the success of their moral upbringing to one side or another.

One term means one lifetime. The lifetime of whichever person they are assigned to. After which, they are given a choice. Continue service, and shape the morals of another youth. Retire, and go on to the afterlife, which is simply a place where no one dies or grows any older or is ill, one that can be changed to suit your fancies on a whim, to a small degree. And it doesn’t matter whether you worked as a Demon or an Angel. Or stay on Earth as a “ghost.” No “heaven,” no benefits. You’re still stuck on earth, but you are no longer expected to provide anyone with moral guidance, and never will be.

All of which is run by “Headquarters,” an organization with three divisions; Heaven, Hell, and Afterlife. Shoulder Angels fall under the jurisdiction of Heaven. Shoulder Demons under Hell’s. And the well-being of Spirits after their death is the responsibility of Afterlife. Each of these three divisions is run by an elected representative. No one knows the mastermind behind Headquarters itself, but they do know the spokesperson: Wang Yao, an ancient Spirit claiming to be one of the oldest, and therefore the wisest. He insists that he is the ruler of Headquarters, but everyone knows that he’s taking orders from someone.

I hope that that has been enough information to lead you here.

There are many stories present in this universe. So many different adventures to choose from and illustrate for you.

But I think I’ll show you one that encompases many stories.

One about a ten-year-old boy, Alfred F. Jones, and the chain of events that he triggers when he runs away from home one Saturday night.