Chapter Five: Unexpected Developements

Chapter Five; Unexpected Developments

“Is he alright?” Alfred asks, worried, holding the still-sleeping Arthur in his hands. It was near lunch now, and Arthur still hadn’t woken up. “You said that he usually wakes up a few hours after you, didn’t you?”

Francis is hovering nearby, frowning. “Yes, I did. He’s very dutiful, despite, or perhaps because of, everything, and he would never knowingly leave an assignment unattended. Under normal circumstances, though, we choose how long we ‘sleep.’ So, unless his few assignments have been particularly taxing, and he figured that Matthew could handle Gilbert and myself while he rested, I don’t know of any reason for him to not be conscious.”

Matthew is pouting as he sits on Alfreds shoulder. “That's a joke. Alfred didn’t listen to me when I only had Gilbert to compete with. As it is, I’ve given up until Arthur wakes up.”

Gil pokes at him, trying to get him to react. “Come on, Birdie. It’s not as awesome keeping Alfred on the path of Fun and Naughtiness without you complaining about it.”

Alfred grins, adding, “And I do hear you, Mattie. I just don’t see why I have to listen, half the time. And I do listen the other half. Like when you talked me out of stealing Mom’s grocery money for this adventure.”

“And then you stole from your neighbors!”

“Who are much richer than Mom and won’t be affected by the loss in the least.”

Matthew looks ready to continue the argument, but then sighs in surrender. Alfred is always willing to bend rules when it comes to moral conflicts. Always justifying himself when it comes to doing wrong. Which is part of the reason why he’s been reevaluated at ten years old.

Francis kneels, gathering Arthur into his arms once more. “Alfred, if you’re still serious about running away, then I suggest that we get as far as we can from your house while mon lapin is still asleep.”

Alfred nods, placing them on his shoulder, and sets off at a determined pace, picking turns at random.

“You’re going to get us lost,” Matthew remarks, slightly bored.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Mattie,” Alfred retorts over his shoulder. “You can’t get lost when you don’t know how to get where you’re going in the first place.”