Chapter Fifteen: Hitchhiking

Chapter Fifteen; Hitchhiking

They’d reached the gas station. Arthur having fiercely tried to change Alfred’s decision the whole way, despite being told that it would be no use.

“For the love of the Queen, don’t be daft, boy. You’ve been gone long enough, people are probably already waiting for you in New York City. Hitchhiking is a dodgy plan under any circumstances. You shouldn’t take a risk like hitchhiking when it will all be for not, anyway.”

“Regardless, whether I should or not, I’m going to do it. And it will go much more smoothly if you just shut up!”

“Fine! Prolong your so-called ‘freedom’ for a little while longer! But I guarantee that the second you find yourself at your sisters, you’ll find yourself worse off than before.”

For a second, he feels an uncomfortable sense of deja-vu as he realizes that the speech he’d just given bore an uncanny resemblance to a  young revolutionary soldier who’d gone off to fight in the Revolutionary War. It had galled him to be the Spirit of a soldier on a side opposing Britannia. But that was past, and he was being distracted by the present.

“You’re not actually going to your sister’s, are you? At least, not any time soon.”

He speaks slowly, softly. Almost defeated. He’d also sensed Alfred’s determination. Just like the soldier.

Matthew is dismayed. He’d suspected, but he’d hoped it wasn’t so. If Arthur was mentioning it, though, he had to except that it was.

Meanwhile, Alfred is indignant, and bursts out, “No fair! Mind-reading shouldn’t be allowed.”

Arthur sighs. it’s a typical reaction, especially among youths going through puberty, or close to puberty. They’re right, of course. They deserve privacy. That’s why Angels weren’t encouraged to rely on their supernatural senses. His circumstances were… unusual. “I apologize. I can’t help it. But you’re still being right dim, and irresponsible.”

“So what? You can’t do anything about it. I’m not changing my mind.”

Even Gilbert is decidedly less enthusiastic now that he knows that Alfred doesn’t plan on going to his sister’s.  But he knows that Alfred means what he says about them not being able to do anything about it. Once Alfred decides to do something, he sticks to it, and arguing only makes him more secure in his position. In that way, he’s a Spirit’s worst nightmare, since their only power is arguing.

“How about a compromise?”

Francis is surprised by Arthur’s willingness to suggest a compromise. Arthur is, after all, quite stubborn in his own right. Of course, under normal circumstances, Arthur wouldn’t have compromised. But he could sense what Gilbert knew; that arguing would only make things worse.

Alfred is understandably wary. The Brit’s manner had changed quite abruptly, from unyielding to cooperative. “What sort of compromise?”

“Continue with your plans for… oh, a week, I suppose. That ought to give you ample time to use your stolen goods and enjoy your freedom. After that, I won’t make you go home, but at least check in with your sister. But trust my judgement of people, and let me tell you who to hitchhike with. And no more stealing. Once you’re supplies are through, find a way to earn money, or go home. Not everyone’s as minted as your neighbors were, and even if they are, you’ll find they notice more than you’d think.”

“And if I don’t?” Alfred asks haughtily. He knows he has the upper hand, or thinks he does.

“Then I’ll tell every person you go near that you’re a runaway. And you won’t be able to find anyone willing to take you to New York City knowing that you’re a runaway, unless they want to do unspeakable things to you.” Arthur is matter-of-fact. And he plans on pulling through. If Alfred has even a lick of sense, he’ll concede to the terms. He didn’t ask much, and granted him a decent chunk of freedom. And Alfred knows now that Arthur can, indeed, make it very difficult for him to go through with his plans.